Window overlooking garden - replaced frosted by clear

Pablo

Hi

Our neighbour have a window on their first floor of the side of their house overlooking our garden (from less than 1m distance - just the width of their side passage).

That window was previously frosted and could not be opened. Very recently they replaced their doors and windows in their house and that window is now (1) clear glass and (2) can be opened (in fact it is open today).

That window overlooks our garden and is in straight line of sight, same height, to our daughters bedrooms (<10m distance).

Given the above I assume they are not allowed to replace that window but I have no idea on how to proceed to have the situation sorted. I plan to talk to the neighbor about it but it'd be great if I could point him to whatever law/rules are there make the situation clear to him that the window needs replacement.

Any advise / tips / suggestion welcome.

Thanks,
Pablo

You cannot stop someone looking out a window. Just because they have clear glass does not make them a peeping Tom. Have a chat with them about it by all means as having good neighbours is always a positive thing for all.

Frosted glass is usually part of planning conditions, especially if the windows are less than 11m from the boundary.
(i am not sure about the ability to open them, but I don't think this is a problem).

They are of course allowed to replace the window, but it needs to be frosted.
Check the local planning rules, or call the local planning authority if you can't find out.

Not sure of the legality, but if it comes to it the neighbour shouldn't need to replace the window. Privacy film that goes over the glass can be bought very cheaply and does the same job. My folks bought a house where their kitchen had windows looking straight into their neighbours garden, which made my parents very uncomfortable as they couldn't even do their dishes without looking like they were spying!! They picked up privacy film in Lidl which was super cheap, but looks the business.

People vastly overestimate the extent to which you can see into someone else's house, particularly in the daytime.

They can only see into your daughter's room to the extent that you can see through their window.

People vastly overestimate the extent to which you can see into someone else's house, particularly in the daytime.

They can only see into your daughter's room to the extent that you can see through their window.

You say that, but I had neighbours (who I had never spoken to) call round to my house to offer me blinds for my front bedroom that they were disposing of. It was never said but I suspect they may have seen far more of me and my partner than is decent!!

Were you those people ? You never did use those blinds - it was just waking up to the "whole of the moon", while you were doing your various yoga poses was enough to turn me off my cornflakes in the morning...:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reactions: hfp
You cannot stop someone looking out a window. Just because they have clear glass does not make them a peeping Tom. Have a chat with them about it by all means as having good neighbours is always a positive thing for all.

In my opinion your reply is quite dismissive of the OPs concerns, adds nuances that they never presented and is also an inaccurate assertion on your part as frosted glass does indeed stop people looking out of windows while allowing natural light in and in some cases its essential so that people do not feel constantly overlooked.

I think the OP is entirely justified in their views here.

In my opinion your reply is quite dismissive of the OPs concerns, adds nuances that they never presented and is also an inaccurate assertion on your part as frosted glass does indeed stop people looking out of windows while allowing natural light in and in some cases its essential so that people do not feel constantly overlooked.
Really. IMO frosted glass is used by someone to block people actually looking into their windows e.g. bathrooms. People who want to make sure that no-one can see inside their windows use net curtains if they want the benefit or privacy while using see-through glass.

I think the OP is entirely justified in their views here.
Well I spent 20 years in the window business so I do have some experience of these issues. Like I said having a chat with your neighbour was always a recommended course of action. Many a window was fitted where no planning comments were listed.

I actually live in an estate where each house has a square bay window for downstairs and for the main bedroom. You can stand in the bay window and "peep" into the next person room if you have a mind to. We however have a thing called a blind,it works well.

Given the above I assume they are not allowed to replace that window

Does the planning permission on their property state that the window must be obscured? If no such condition was attached, they are entitled to have clear glass. If the houses were built since ~2000, your local authority website will likely have all planning listed. If from before, you'll have to call in.

Back