Window Film and Heating system cleaners

amok

Hi
I have a couple of q's. Has anyone ever tried window film for insulating single glazed windows? If so, where can I purchase it in Dublin?
Secondly, do these cleaners work and do you have to drain your heating system I have an old gas backboiler?

Yes but to keep heat out rather than inside.
3M do high end window films & have distributor lists on their website.

Has anyone ever tried window film for insulating single glazed windows?

This product is unlikely to provide any meaningful heat insulation. The reason for this is that heat insulation in the home depends upon entrapment of air. This can be air trapped between sheets of glass or acrylic (as in double-glazed windows), or of air trapped within down or a synthetic material such as Hollofil and held between sheets of fabric (as in a bed duvet). The greater the amount of air trapped, the greater will be the insulating effect.

The product you've described appears to be simply stuck to the window pane, and, therefore, cannot provide an insulation effect. If this product were several millimetres thick, it might provide a noticeable effect, but then, naturally, this thickness would reduce visibility to an unacceptable level.

Just adding system cleaner to your heating system does little, proper flush/power flushing is required, either way your gas back boiler most likely 70% efficient at best

Back