Willy Wonka

No have'nt seen it and don't intend to. My uncle and aunt went to it today with their two kids (both aged under 5). The kids really enjoyed but they enjoy almost any film like that (as does any 5 year old). The critics have given it multiple bad reviews with the label of "noting new" frequently appearing.

A friend of mine went to see it yesterday and said Johnny Depp was excellent ala 'Pirates of the Carribbean'. Critics be damned!

I went to see it last night and I have to say I thought it was brill. Certainly there wasn't a whole lot new but I think that was great as the original was good anyway. Johnny Depp on the other hand was far superior to Gene Wilder who I always thought was a horrible creepy old Willy Wonka.

I enjoyed it, but I would have to wonder about the stylist who made Johnny Depp look so much like Michael Jackson!

I thought it was good up to the mid-way point, from there on in I didn't think it was great. However it has a tough act to follow!

I went to see it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It was different enough from the old one to make me enjoy them both. Johnny Depp was brilliant but I really missed the old style oompa loompas.

Didn't know the old version and enjoyed the visuals in this movie, and the music too. Made me think what a great story Dahl wrote. I agree with Kildrought about Willy Wonka's resemblance to Michael Jackson.

CGorman said:
The critics have given it multiple bad reviews with the label of "noting new" frequently appearing.

I'm guessing that this is supposed to read "nothing new".

Which for a 2005 remake of a 1971 original is probably an apt, though probably obvious enough, comment.

Wasn't convinced myself on first viewing. Definitely wouldn't hold kids attention as well as the original. I saw that from a position of having watched both films with 90 9-12 year olds in the space of a day.

The film will definitely be of interest to the 20-30 age group who are interested in Tim Burton and want to see how he "does" the story.

Definitely recommended though.

I think it's a great fllm. I thought Johnny Depp was more like the Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang than Michael Jackson.

At least the new one doesn't have that awful song "Cheer up Charlie" - is there anyone who doesn't fast forward through that bit!!

I took my kids to see it yesterday and they really enjoyed it ... especially Violet turning into a blueberry. I thought the first half was best ... when Charlie found the ticket I felt a shiver of excitement ... that's how a film should make you feel. Well worth a look ...

not as god as the orginal but
Johnny Deep is superb in it.... apparently the make up artist's wanted to make him look like Michael Jackson , the whole living in neverland, wee boy never grows up kinda thing, they filmed before MJ was outed as a " PERV" ..

new oompa Loompas no good.... loved the originals with their wee orange faces and green hair, oompa loompa loopedy Doo ive got another puzzle for you.. ...

Daughter loved it....

Molly said:
not as god as the orginal but
Johnny Deep is superb in it.... apparently the make up artist's wanted to make him look like Michael Jackson , the whole living in neverland, wee boy never grows up kinda thing, they filmed before MJ was outed as a " PERV" ..

I didn't realise it was filmed in 1992 ;)

I'm astonished at all these good reports! I didn't like the original - too creepy - and was so bored by this one that I fell asleep after half an hour. 12 yr old liked it, but thought it wasn't as good as the original.

Saw it with my kids at the w/e. Seemed to me to be pitched at a slightly older child than the original. The original was a bit softer. Well done I thought. Dont forget that things that gave a warm feeling to you as a kid are hard to beat, not necessarily cos they are good, but because they continue to envboke that same warm feeling.

brodiebabe said:
Has anyone seen this film? Is it any use?

I liked the movie, but by asking about the movie on a BB will that actually sway your desire to go to the movies or not.
Every time I see this kind of post, its like will to go or not to go to this movie.
The answer is, don’t bother. If you wanted to see it you would have.

It v. rare you'll get a unanimous reply on a bb even with people who have proven to have similar tastes previously.

[font=&quot]The movie was made for the big screen and will not be as good on a dvd/tv. And lets face it even when RTE think it’s a great idea to run WW for the Kids at xmas hopefully they run the old one this one deffo isn’t a chrimbo hit.

[/font]

Saw the movie on Sunday night with my sister.

Seriously disappointed with it - found it quite boring and could have left a half hour before it ended. Found the whole 'exploring' Willy Wonka's past incredibly bizarre. Violet blowing up was actually better in the original movie - I think with all the special effects there are nowadays you're expecting so much more and they didn't deliver.

Left the cinema wanting to see the original movie again.

And the oompa loompas are just freaky.

Back