Will you take your holiday if the flights are not cancelled?

Ceist Beag

Similar to the pub thread, if your flights are not cancelled (as of today Ryanair are planning to operate 40% of flights from July 1), will you go ahead and take a holiday if you have one booked already? What will your options be if say the country you're flying to has a policy that any visitors must quarantine for 2 weeks? Will you still be entitled to a refund on the flights?

If the flight isn't cancelled, I can't see the airline offering refunds or vouchers - then you are relying on travel insurance which (a) has coronavirus cover and (b) cover for travel advisory alerts.

Unless there is some quid pro quo where the EU allows airlines to issue vouchers rather than refunds even for cancellations and then in return the airlines agree to offer vouchers for those who has booked non-essential trips and now need to cancel due to the quarantine policies.

This is all just me speculating of course...

No. I have an apartment booked in Spain for September but thankfully I hadn't booked the flights as I was waiting for prices to drop. (timing the market :) )
We have decided that we won't fly until Autumn 2021. I will really miss my overseas holidays. I am not a great flyer (claustrophobia) so I take a tab to calm me down before my flight. While people are wrapped up in jackets on the plane I am usually sitting in my short sleeved shirt. I would be concerned that when they take my body temperature I will be over the limit so to speak and I may be refused boarding. I seem to suffer from body heat, maybe due to nervousness so I have the air vents on above me trying to get as much cool air as possible. This is a worry, as I don't know what I am breathing. I would hate to think that airlines would switch off the air vents to prevent excessive air circulation.

Standing in queues 3' apart would suit me fine. However the scramble for cases from the overhead locker when the plane lands with everybody standing in the aisle would not suit me. Also if this was not allowed, we may have to stay sitting in our seats waiting for each row to disembark. This could take ages. Similar, when boarding.....one at a time......in the heat......no thanks.

I need to find somewhere in Connemara, Donegal or west Cork to enjoy for the next two years or so...

1. So you pick up flights at bargain prices and when you land at your destination you could be hit with a €200 per person mandatory Covid-19 test (as is in Austria) and your spouse and two children are with you. Add €800 to your price.

2. You arrive at your destination and have a pint while relaxing on some bar terrace to find glasses being cleaned merely by having them dipped in water before being refilled.

3. Many europeans including the Brits are not famous for their ability for social distancing. Could you be adding to the dangers there and on your return to Ireland?

It would be so much better to holiday in Ireland at any time if only they were not so expensive. I would much rather be able to pack up the car and drive rather than have to drive to an Airport and wait at least two hours before a flight , then you have the flight journey and the transfer at the far end. There are so many lovely places here if the weather is good and we could afford them.
I heard a lady saying yesterday that she priced a break in Ireland for three people and was quoted twice the price than she payed for four people in America , less the flights of course.
We may all wait until everywhere is open both home and abroad before we can plan anything though.

I'll only travel if there aren't any restrictions at my destination (testing, quarantine etc) and I don't have to quarantine on my return, although that would be possible for me. Once these conditions exist, I'll be on a plane.

I'll only travel if there aren't any restrictions at my destination (testing, quarantine etc) and I don't have to quarantine on my return, although that would be possible for me. Once these conditions exist, I'll be on a plane.

I'll only travel if there are strict restrictions at the destination. I am prepared to quarantine on my return.

Let's say you travel to Italy, Spain, France, UK, USA and there are no restrictions on your arrival. There is a good chance you'll get infected. These countries have largely fallen down on the job preventing Covid-19. Then you return to Ireland and nobody knows the potential for you to be a mass killer (although you are not aware). I have no problem with you putting yourself in danger, but please be mindful of those of us who wish to stay above ground.

I have no problem with you putting yourself in danger, but please be mindful of those of us who wish to stay above ground.

I'll be complying with any restrictions both at home and abroad, so if you want them to be tightened to stop mass killers, I suggest you lobby your TD.

Ireland is not doing mass testing of its population regardless of symptoms - no one knows how prevalent it is in reality here (or anywhere else). Spain had mass quarantine for ages - I would not say the government didn't do its job. Btw Ireland and the US have almost the same death rate - if you claim the US screwed up then the statement should be valid for Ireland as well.

The recommendation is not to travel - but it is a recommendation - not the law. For me it is essential as I need to switch off and it is impossible to do that here in Ireland as I am sharing accommodation with others. I am out in Summer and if I have to self isolate myself afterwards for two weeks I do not mind as I have home office till September most likely.

Btw Ireland and the US have almost the same death rate - if you claim the US screwed up then the statement should be valid for Ireland as well.
Oh sweet This post will be deleted if not edited immediately, not that nonsense again.

I have booked flights for 5 to Spain Mid July and have a deposit on a holiday park paid. The remainder of the holiday €2k is due for payment by the end of May. I do not think I will pay it. I know Spain has 2 weeks quarantine now but I think its likely to be lifted by then. (I think economics will overide safety at some point) Airlines will run 50% so not sure if the plane will take off. To be honest I would nearly prefer if it was all cancelled now for the certainty that would bring.

I just couldn't face in to long delays at airports on both sides of my trip. I have visited towns during siesta times and they have no atmosphere so wandering around streets with shops closed (even though I hate shopping) would be a no no for me.

Yes we will even though we will have too pay about €70 too get tested then choose a government approved hotel which we will pay for until the test result comes back too us.the turn around time is 3 days.once we get a clear result we will get a travel certificate which will allow us too travel too our home.

No I've already moved the accommodation until next year and if we lose the flight money so be it. We are due to fly in august and have flights booked since the end of December!

I see greece, spain and probably Italy will reopen to foreign travel without quarantine from end of june. What are the best prospects for a holiday in Europe this summer?

No. Just no. Until and unless there's a cure or a vaccine, it's too risky IMHO. It's not a holiday if you're on edge constantly and worried about social distancing and hygiene standards. And you don't want to be stuck navigating an unfamiliar culture and health service if there's a sudden resurgence of the virus while you're away. That's on the basis that we're hitting 60 years of age, and semi-retired so life's a holiday anyway. :cool:

Now if we were 40 years younger..... :p

No. Just no. Until and unless there's a cure or a vaccine, it's too risky IMHO. It's not a holiday if you're on edge constantly and worried about social distancing and hygiene standards. And you don't want to be stuck navigating an unfamiliar culture and health service if there's a sudden resurgence of the virus while you're away. That's on the basis that we're hitting 60 years of age, and semi-retired so life's a holiday anyway. :cool:

Now if we were 40 years younger..... :p
There may never be a cure or a vaccine. If you are interested in a 1970's themed holiday there's always Bundoran...

I am going in October and unless there is another huge outbreak here or where I am going, I am looking forward to it. Already cancelled it twice this year. I am also looking forward to getting fleeced by the Irish Tourism market as well by having a holiday here.

Back