VHI Will VHI pay for an MRI of my hand?

Noname89

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me. I contacted VHI today to check cover for an MRI of my hand as my consultant has suggested I need one done as a result of an accident I had whilst abroad. Now VHi covered my hospital bills whilst abroad I never had an issue with them before.

I called today to query the cover and nice lady I was speaking to on the phone told me I wasn't covered, she said it was a part of the body excluded from their list of clinical indicators, because it's not a major joint or supporting structure of the body they don't cover it, she told me I could submit prior approval for this via my consultant which I think is ridiculous.

I pay my insurance to cover these kind of expenses and can't afford to the pay the 200 Euro which the scan will cost without it.

Does anybody know where I go from here??

I'm afraid you need a higher level of cover, or check if other health insurers include it.

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I'm on the VHI Company Plan Excutive paying over 3000 a year so i don't know how much highter I can go. The girl told me it wasn't covered under any of their plans and I'm stuck in a contract until my renewal in August

Thanks again

"Glo health net more 100", is my health insurance policy and last weekend I had an MRI done on my rotator cuff which was included on my policy. I attended the Galway Clinic and had nothing to pay. Yes, I had checked beforehand and was assured this was the case. Myself and my wife have this insurance and pay €1016.00 each per annum. Hope this can be some help to you. By the way, every year we sit down and look at each company and buy from the company based on what we're covered for and price. We've changed companies 3 times in the last 5 years which is allowed but not everyone is doing. Your 3k charge looks very, very, expensive indeed unless it includes a few of the family.

Last edited:
Glo would also exclude your hand. Joints, etc are covered but hands are something that is excluded by the insurers.

Back