will the landlord be told by the dsp if a new tenant moves in?

Apollo

hi,

A friend of mine is curious to know that if a new tenant receives a PPS number will his landlord be told that another person has moved in?

The story is this guy will be moving in from overseas to stay with his girlfriend who already lives in the house with my mate - all the bills are currently in his name.

The new guy is gonna throw my mate a few bob each month for rent and bills as he is doing the girlfriend in the house a favour by allowing another person into the house.

However in order to work in Ireland the new guy will need a PPS number to get which he will need a proof of address which my mate is prepared to give him by writing a letter and attaching a utility bill in his name.

However he is anxious that the department of social protection(who issue PPS numbers apparantly)will tell the landlord(no idea why they would want do this but just to be sure etc) who will want a cut of the rent plus a deposit off the new guy who may then decide to get another place along with the girlfriend who will move out.

If he provides the new tenant with a proof of address to obtain a PPS number could the landlord be informed does anyone know?

He didn't say so but I think he likes the idea of getting a cut from the new tenant to reduce his own rent and bills!

There would be no contact between Dept of Social Protection and a landlord in a situation such as you've described.

A letter from a co-tenant may not be sufficient for the person as proof of address - per DSP website, the following may be accepted as evidence:

Household utility bill,
Official letter/document,
Financial statement,
Property lease or tenancy agreement,
Verified employers letter.
All documents must show the applicant's name and address.

Is there a clause in your friend's tenancy agreement regarding sub-letting? It could be argued that that's what he's proposing by accepting money from someone who isn't named on the tenancy.

Back