Will my insurance cover this

denby11

I have a comprehensive motor policy for all my work vehicles. Last night 1 of these was left unlocked and someone went into it and tried to burn it out. Thankfully they failed but left a lot of smoke damage and destroyed the passenger seat as well the roof of the internal roof of the vechicle. Will my insurance cover this?

If you lodge a claim i'd imagine the 1st thing they'll be asking about is why the vehicle had been left unlocked?

The unlock will cause you an issue as your policy conditions state you have to take reasponable car and act as though uninsured.

It's very strange if someone was intent on arson, that they picked the one vehicle that was unlocked rather than just torching all the cars?
Were they sleeping in it and smoking or something?

I think it'd be worth getting a quote and assessing whether it's worth affecting your claims bonus for it.

What does your insurance policy state?

Example section from an Allianz policy booklet:

Looking after Your Car
You must take all reasonable care to:
1. Safeguard Your Car from loss or damage and prevent injuries.
2. Maintain Your Car in a roadworthy condition, ensure that lights, mirrors and braking systems are working correctly and, where necessary, has a valid NCT certificate.
3. Fit tyres appropriate to the Car, and ensure tread depths comply to the legal limit.
4. Ensure You do not leave Your keys in the Car while unattended or leave Your Car unlocked.
If You do not do so, We reserve the right not to pay a claim or if, by law, We are obliged to meet a claim, then We reserve the right to seek recovery of the payment from You.

In that case they reserve the right not to pay, and only they will be able to answer if they will in your case if your policy has a similarly worded clause. Some policies may rule out any possibility of claiming in such cases.

Out of curiosity where exactly was the vehicle located ?

If out on the public street you might have a problem with failure to take reasonable care to avoid a loss.
If inside a locked premises your prospects might be better.

Back