will maternity benefit affect rent allowance paid?

merille

hi,

im getting one parent family payment at the moment, also rent allowance. lost my job in april. after a while i got pregnant, just found it out a month ago. so ill have 2 kids on my own soon.
i have been working and paying contribution weeks (think thats how they are called) for 2009 (52 weeks) and 2010 (43 weeks). i was working part time and paying class A0 stamps. didnt claim joobseekers benefit, as the welfare officer said, that he will cut it off from my rent allowance anyway.
now my old employer offered me to work for few hours a week, problably only 4 or 6 hours per week. is there any chance to claim maternity benefit without cutting it off from rent allowance? problably i would get full amount of opfp and half rate of minimum maternity benefit, also im getting 25€ a week maintaince from my first childs dad. how much will be cut from rent allowance then?

Any change in your income can affect your rent supplement. This may include your wages from work, although the first €75 isn't assessed against you.

Your half-rate maternity benefit will be assessed in full against your rent supplement (same as the jobseeker's benefit would have been), so if you're on full rate one parent family payment, your rent supplement will probably be reduced by the amount of maternity benefit you receive.

You should talk to the CWO for full details on how income changes affect your rent supplement.

Back