Will I get a loan?

Jeanne

Not sure where to post this.

Just under 5 years ago I got into difficulty with a credit card company. The final balance was small, about 250Euro and they eventually stopped calling.

Might add, not proud of what happend :eek: but I was strapped financially at the time. Subsequently got my act together and have been 'clean' ever since!

Anyway, I'm about to apply for a (small) mortgage with my bank branch, where I've had an account for a number of years. However, I'm now wondering if my credit card history will go against me. If I'm blacklisted (not sure of the correct term) is it possible my bank could refuse me the loan, even though I've a good history with them?

Thanks,
J

You could bite the bullet and contact the ICB for your credit details (costs about €7 I think). However I can't see that you'll have a problem. Speak to your bank and make your application.

good luck with it
Ruth

Thanks Ruth,

Will look into ICB. Only thing is, I'm under pressure to get the application in early next week so dont have much time. Do you think I should mention it to my branch when making the application, or say nothing and see what happens?

Mad at myself about it now!

Say nothing; they'll find out if there's a record, and they might choose to disregard it if it does show up. Don't worry! There are other alternatives if your own bank won't offer you the loan.
let us know how you get on ;)
Ruth

The ICB holds records for 5 years after a credit agreement is closed [broken link removed] AFAIK the only credit card issuer that records monthly balances/payments is MBNA but if you are a defaulter as the op was then that information is recorded with the ICB by the card issuer.

Thank you very much for replies.

Have decided to proceed with the loan application and see what happens. However, will also do an ICB check. I'm curious now as to whether there is a record of the credit card issue. No doubt there'll be no record of the many loans I did repay over the years (car loan, other credit card loans, previous mortgage number of years ago, various personal loans etc).:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again. I will return and let you know the outcome. Wish me luck!;)

If you do the check will it get flagged that it has been looked up ? So say if a lender does a check following this would they know that you have just checked this up ?

dubinamerica said:
If you do the check will it get flagged that it has been looked up ? So say if a lender does a check following this would they know that you have just checked this up ?

Yes it would show any institutions who requested your details.

Ruth

Ruth said:
Yes it would show any institutions who requested your details.

Ruth

Thanks Ruth - just to clarify, would it show that you had requested your own details? :confused:

dubinamerica said:

What you are trying to say is, would the institution know that YOU looked for your credit report and the simple answer is NO, the would not. They would only know if "other" banks, etc requested the information, but not if you personally requested a credit report.

bobboy said:
What you are trying to say is, would the institution know that YOU looked for your credit report and the simple answer is NO, the would not. They would only know if "other" banks, etc requested the information, but not if you personally requested a credit report.

Thanks for that bobboy.

Back