will i be able to apply to go on the dole?

N

niamhy75

Hi

I am currently travelling around Australia but will be home mid-August and plan to do a 3 month course with Failte Ireland with which i'll receive a weekly grant. I will be finished at the end of November but plan to start another 3 month course on January 1st. However this is a private course and I won't be able to get a grant for it. Unless I get a few weeks work in between the two courses, I won't have worked for 4 months by the time the 2nd course is over and I will also have to take out a loan to pay for the 2nd course. When I come back to Ireland, I will have been away for a year so do you think I would be able to apply to go on the dole, even though I won't be actively looking for work apart from the month in between the 2 courses? I have paid PRSI for about 6-7 years before I went travelling.
Any help anyone could give me on this issue would be great
Thanks

If you are unemployed then you should sign on and see what they say - if you are entitled to Jobseekers Benefit (PRSI based) or Jobseekers Allowance (means tested) then they will tell you. The qualifying year for PRSI contributions for (PRSI linked) welfare benefits is usually (always?) the previous tax year so even if you had a recent break in PRSI contributions you may still qualify for JB. The SW website has more details on qualifying conditions for JB/JA.

I thought everyone had come in from the UK with this constant reference to Jobseekers Allowance and Benefit, then I checked the DSFA website to see the names had changed!!

Watch out for the Habitual Residency Condition in Clubman's link above...it may affect you.

Back