Will bank allow payment holiday/interest only payments to fix up run down house

purple17

Hi
I currently own a house worth approx €140k and mortgage of €310k. As its a tracker I can afford the repayments so I want to stay. Although i am making repayments every month and not in arrears i have little left over and no savings due to reduced income.

My question is as the house is run down i.e. damp, roof maintance needs, broken floors etc, I cant afford to fix these essential items in the house (Possibly up to €3-4k worth).
Is it feasible to approach the bank to ask to switch to interest only period or payment holiday to help pay to fix these?

It would help upkeep the house and its value. I would also have to ask that they add the missed capital onto the balance of the mortgage as couldnt afford extra repayments at end of term.

They will ask you to complete their SFS (Standard Financial Statement) & then will revert with reply Most lenders are amenable to this but some more than others Apply for the max. available eg. 12 mth. payment holiday & let them knock it back or not Also it is important to get a figure on the new repayment arising at the end of any such temporary arrangement. Keep posting here as there are some very sharp financial people on AAM

Last edited:
Back