wifi internet radio recommendation please

patspost

Folks, I am looking for an internet radio Wifi hopefully with these features as well if possible

internet radio rx
FM broadcast rx
MW & LW rx
LED display & alarm clock facility

I hope to listen to some BBC stations on it, so may have to change broadband provider to U.Tv etc, but thats another issue.
I think the difficult thing will be to get AM (MW & LW) reception as well, so may have to remove that from the list.

Any recommendations please.
Tks

Well I recently ventured into the world of internet radio with a fairly basic Bush model. I really only bought it as it was going in a fantastic deal from an online retailer - £22 delivered.

I must say I am really impressed with it.

I have 8500+ stations to pick from, can listen to podcasts and fast forward through them, can stream music stored on my PC through it. It would be great for BBC stations to catch up with old shows.

Its a fairly basic model and has only one speaker but it sounds ok. Even with stations encoded in 32kbps sound ok. But ones at 64k and 128k a lot better.

As for getting FM/LW/AM - mine has only internet radio, but I could probably get most of the channels I would want to listen to on AM on the internet anyway.

I'm that impressed I think I might go with a better quality unit for my living room in the near future.

Thanks for that RCMF,
just as a matter of interest can you pick up the BBC stations on it, eg Radio 2 or Radio 4?
And one other thing what broadband provider are you using?
Tks

It won't matter who the broadband provider is.
The internet radio streams are mainly provided by Reciva or Silicon Frontier. The wifi model you buy is specific to the provider.
Google them to see the stations available.
My radio uses Reciva and I get BBC stations.

I do get all the BBC stations, including ones I'd never heard of !!

I have wireless broadband on the border between NI/Ireland but as the previous guy said, that doesn't matter.

I just powered up the radio, and it found 8500+ stations - no idea if it wasusing Reciva or whatever. I must set up an account with Reciva and get my favourites set up.

Take the plunge with a cheap one and experience it for yourself. You won't regret it.

I do get all the BBC stations, including ones I'd never heard of !!

I have wireless broadband on the border between NI/Ireland but as the previous guy said, that doesn't matter.

I just powered up the radio, and it found 8500+ stations - no idea if it wasusing Reciva or whatever. I must set up an account with Reciva and get my favourites set up.

Take the plunge with a cheap one and experience it for yourself. You won't regret it.

There should be a sticker on the radio saying Reciva etc. You can only setup an account with Reciva if you have a Reciva based radio - you need to enter the serial number on the website.

I have a tangent (uses reciva) cost about €110 from ebay and a pure evoke flow (cost me a bargain €50 - had a scratch).
I recommend both.
The reciva service is handy.
The tangent gets you the bbcs + their listen again service and podcasts.
It also has access to stored mp3s in the 'cloud'

We have a Pure Evoke Flow and can get all the BBC stations including BBC 5 Live and BBC 5 Live Extra. All in all there are 62 BBC stations listed.

Is there a minimum connection speed that these will work on? I know that on slower broadband speeds there's a lot of buffering...

I only have a 1meg line and only get buffering at the start. In the many hours I have been listening to it, the radio has only buffered twice for maybe a couple of secs.

I would definitely advise taking the plunge for internet radio. The choice is astounding, and allows you to get away from the limited choice you only get on FM, remembering of course that most of those channels are available on the internet anyway.

By the way, while I was flicking around the user interface, I did see a Reciva popup, so thats what mine uses. Must get my account up and running.

Reply to Just Sally - yes, that's the one. Got it in Curry's for € 199 - it was a late birthday present so I didn't have time to shop online. The battery pack was extra - € 45 about on amazon.co.uk

Back