Wife's maiden name on a mortgage?

livEwirE

Apologies, I'm sure this has been asked many times before. My wife and I got a mortgage before we were married in 2004. We married in 2007 and she took my married name. I'm named on the mortgage and she is also named but under her maiden name. Is it a good idea to have her surname changed to our married surname on the mortgage? Is this a complicated process? Does it involve having to change house deeds etc?

Apologies, I'm sure this has been asked many times before. My wife and I got a mortgage before we were married in 2004. We married in 2007 and she took my married name. I'm named on the mortgage and she is also named but under her maiden name. Is it a good idea to have her surname changed to our married surname on the mortgage? Is this a complicated process? Does it involve having to change house deeds etc?

There is no need to do anything. She is still the same person who took out the mortgage.
The name will only ever be a (minor) issue if (a) you are selling or (b) you fall into arrears.

In both scenarios, it will be crystal clear what has happened and easily explained by production of a copy Marriage Certificate - if anyone even queries it at all.

mf

Back