Wife returning to work

tosh100

My wife is returning to work on a 3 month contract, out on maternity after that - her tax credits are spread over 12 months and obviously will have to pay tax for the next 3 months despite that over this tax year she shouldnt - does she have to wait to end of year to reclaim tax paid??????

She can ask her employer to start deducting tax and prsi as "week one" - even if she starts work in week say... 17 for example. She may not use up her tax credits over the 3 month period and therefore might not be eligible to pay any tax. Anyway her employer will understand. hope I've explained this ok!
hth
Ruth

Ruth said:
She can ask her employer to start deducting tax and prsi as "week one" - even if she starts work in week say... 17 for example. She may not use up her tax credits over the 3 month period and therefore might not be eligible to pay any tax. Anyway her employer will understand. hope I've explained this ok!
hth
Ruth

Ruth, I think you are a little confused. What Tosh is explaining is effectively week 1 treatment. He needs to contact Revenue and request a cumulative tax credit cert. Although the credits will be spread over the remainder of the year, at least you will see immediate benefit of the credits from Jan to April 06.

Are you taxed jointly. If not you should consider this. Any tax credits and SRCOP not used by your wife can be transfered to you. See [broken link removed]

Back