Wife on disability benefit: MBNA CC payment protection policy.

scarednow

Quick story, my wife has been on disability benefit since having our child 3 years ago. Whilst checking her credit card statement this morning (we are pretty bad with our finances!!), I noticed that she has (and still is) paying payment protection cover.
1) Is she covered with the lender (MBNA)
2) If im right, they only cover for 12 months - can we 'back-claim' this.

As shes not working, if she cant claim there is absolutely no point in us paying this each month

Thanks for your help

Re: Wifes Credit Card

From what remember of their T&C they only cover you for the min monthly payment, so it is not really worth having in the first place!

Thanks for your reply, balance is over 10k at the minute so min payment is over 220 euros - definately worth claiming for if that is the case. I guess i just want to know if she qualifies - guess MBNA are the best people to ask!!

For those of us who don't know could someone clarify what this insurance is for?

Just been onto MBNA, insurance is to protect when you are either made redundant or unable to work due to certain illnessess. Have to fill in forms now but the rule they use is they pay 3% of your balance as it stood when you went out sick, each monthe.g wifes balance 3 years ago was around 2k so, if the claim goes through, she will get 36 x 60eur. The current balance does not come into play , which is fair enough.

at the minute, 70+ euro - so we will wait for claim to go through then cancel it as obv. its costing more than the 60 euro cover

Back