wife is currently unemployed and not signing on as I am working. FAS Courses?

I don't think its the 'system' if people decide to try and buck it by claiming falsely that they weren't told about signing for credits!

So years later people are claiming falsely that they were never told about signing on for credits in order to claim some welfare benefit, therefore social welfare have put a policy in place to put into people's files confirmation that people did know what to do but chose not to.

Do people who 'falsely' claim that the didn't know about signing on win their claimes I wonder. There must have been a test case on this hence the new policy.

Apart from people 'falsely' claiming, there are a lot of people who don't know about the signing on for credits and who also have not been told by social welfare staff, nor informed by letter that it's in their interest to do so and others who have been given incorrect information by social welfare.

So years later people are claiming falsely that they were never told about signing on for credits in order to claim some welfare benefit, therefore social welfare have put a policy in place to put into people's files confirmation that people did know what to do but chose not to.

Yes, and its more than 'some benfit'. it could be a pension over 20 yerars.

Do people who 'falsely' claim that the didn't know about signing on win their claimes I wonder. There must have been a test case on this hence the new policy.
No they dont.
Apart from people 'falsely' claiming, there are a lot of people who don't know about the signing on for credits and who also have not been told by social welfare staff, nor informed by letter that it's in their interest to do so and others who have been given incorrect information by social welfare.
HYou'd need to back this up with evidence. It is not my experience that SW don't tell people. It sa matter of course to inform them esp given the effect it has on later benefits etc

I agree with Welfarite here. I constantly remind people (have been doing this for many years) who are coming to the end of eligibility to Benefit to continue signing on when they are no longer entitled to a payment. While they are more inclined to listen now because of the times we live in, some years back that advice fell on deaf ears.

There was, and still is the stigma of been seen standing in the queue at the SW office on a monthly basis especially if you were not even in receipt of a payment. Many did not feel it was worth the hassle, especially if you live in a small town where everybody knows everybody else's business.

I agree with Welfarite here. I constantly remind people (have been doing this for many years) who are coming to the end of eligibility to Benefit to continue signing on when they are no longer entitled to a payment. While they are more inclined to listen now because of the times we live in, some years back that advice fell on deaf ears.
But just to be clear - this option isn't open to anyone who hasn't worked for more than two years - right?

Back