wife is currently unemployed and not signing on as I am working. FAS Courses?

Secman71

Hi,
My wife is currently unemployed and not signing on as I am working.

We have 4 children under 14. I get a FIS payment of €111 per week. She has applied for a FAS course and I was wondering:

(a) would she be entitled to anything if she signed on (I earn roughly €40k per year) and
(b) would she even be concidered for a course or is she just wasting her time?

Thanks in advance.

Since January 2010, unemployed people who start a FÁS course will not get a training allowance when they start a FÁS course unless they are entitled to a qualifying payment, such as Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit.
[broken link removed]

She should be signing on (if she is available for work and actively seeking work) whether she is eligible for a payment or not.

I she has sufficient PRSI she may be entitled to Jobseekers Benefit which is not means tested but may affect the FIS.

If she is not entitled to a payment she should sign for credits to keep her SW record intact

Will she even qualify for a FAS course? I thought that only those who were already signing on would qualify for FAS.

Signing on for credits means that, even though she may not be entitled to any payment, her PRSI contribution record is credited with a weekly contribution. This may be very important for long term benefits, such as contributory pension

It also counts towards illness benefit etc. when working - you have to have the credits built up to claim it.

Signing on for credits means that, even though she may not be entitled to any payment, her PRSI contribution record is credited with a weekly contribution. This may be very important for long term benefits, such as contributory pension

It also counts towards illness benefit etc. when working - you have to have the credits built up to claim it.

When Mrs Complainer asked social welfare about signing on and not getting any payment, she was told that her entitlements were frozen, and the only way to unfreeze them was to start working. She didn't use the terminology 'sign on for credits', but this is what she was trying to do. Was the response she got wrong?

When Mrs Complainer asked social welfare about signing on and not getting any payment, she was told that her entitlements were frozen, and the only way to unfreeze them was to start working. She didn't use the terminology 'sign on for credits', but this is what she was trying to do. Was the response she got wrong?
What was her situation before trying to sign on? Homemaker, working, self employed, etc?
To sign for credits she would have had to satisfy the condititions for JB/JA, but not be entitled to payment due to your income/other means.

What was her situation before trying to sign on? Homemaker, working, self employed, etc?
To sign for credits she would have had to satisfy the condititions for JB/JA, but not be entitled to payment due to your income/other means.
Homemaker - Kids growing up a bit, so certainly available for work part-time.

It sounds like what she was told was correct so.
If it has been more than 2 complete tax years since she last worked, then she would have to work 26 weeks to become active in the system again.
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw12/Pages/2Whocanqualifyforcredits.aspx

From a state pension point of view, the years spent childminding (until last child turns 12) are disregarded under the Homemaker's Scheme when working out her average so she doesn't lose out there. A continuing absense from the workforce after that point will start to reduce her average though.
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Pension/Homemakers/Pages/hm.aspx

So a homemaker looking to return to the job market will get absolutely no support from FAS or local VEC until they have worked for six months first?
Well training is a separate issue to welfare support. I would suggest she contact her local fas office and find out for sure before writing it off.

A relation of mine signs on for credits even though not entitled to any payment due to spouses salary. It's really important for your future entitlements to pension etc.

The people in the dole office do not always give out the correct information. There is a book produced by social welfare with all the rules in it and a separate booklet with the amounts of payments. A copy of this should be in every household. It's invaluable.

There is a book produced by social welfare with all the rules in it and a separate booklet with the amounts of payments. A copy of this should be in every household. It's invaluable.
Thanks - any idea of the title of the book?

The Booklet is called "Guide to Social Services". The number is SW4. It's the bible of SW services.

The other booklet is "Social Welfare Rates of payment 2010" the number is SW19.

Both of these (and any other leaflet of booklet you require) are available by post on request from welfare.ie leaflets and booklets

Thanks - I found the SW4 on welfare.ie http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW4/Documents/sw4.pdf

According to section 2.8 of this book, this 'signing on for credits' does not apply to those who have been out of work for 2 years, so it wouldn't apply to my other half.

Well that's probably why your wife isn't eligible for credits. She does though get some credits for bringing up children. They brought in new rules about this in the last decade or so.

As I wouldn't rely on what social welfare have told her, how about writing a letter to social welfare and asking what she is entitled to. That way they have to give you correct advice in writing.

And at least if that advice is incorrect you have some come back.

Last edited:
Back