Wife given up work- tax rebate?

larry1

My wife gave up work nearly a year ago after 15 years working with the one company, to look after our young family. She just received her P45 yesterday ( slow I know ). Is she entitled to any tax rebates ie for stamps built up?

Cheers

There is no rebate/refund of stamps/tax paid as far as I know.

At least two things may be relevant hereSee also this thread which I recently updated for married/child rearing related issues.

Your wife is entitled to claim her unused credits and SRCOP if applicable.
I take it your taking all the credits and increased SRCOP and home carers tax credit if applicable.

Take her salary from the P45
Tax @ 20% up to the SRCOP for 2004
remainder @ 42%
deduct credits
Tax payable
less tax paid
amount due from revenue

I don't get this. What is the relevance of 2004 here?

Also - are you basically saying that if she was working for part of this or last year then her tax would have been calculated pro-rata over the year so that when she stopped working mid year subsequently unused tax credits would have accumulated so that she would have been due back some of the tax initially deducted?

Sorry misread the original should have said 2005.

Also - are you basically saying that if she was working for part of this or last year then her tax would have been calculated pro-rata over the year so that when she stopped working mid year subsequently unused tax credits would have accumulated so that she would have been due back some of the tax initially deducted?

Yes

OK - thanks for the clarification. Didn't want another "married taxation" epic! ;)

Back