Wife being made redundant during Maternity Leave

J

Jabber

Hello
Can anyone answer the following question.
My wife is currently on maternity leave and not due back until July, her company has just issued a voluntary redundancy notice and if they fail to get the numbers they will enforce redundancy thru the first in first out policy into which she falls, This is due to happen on June 1st 5 weeks before her maternity leave ends. They are only offering 10 weeks redundancy pay hence if she is made to leave in June, this will be 5 weeks before her maternity leave is finished so she is effectively only getting 5 weeks redundancy.
They are telling her they cannot make her redundant without her consent, need to know her rights.
Looks like the redundancy will go thru but we don't want to lose out on the 5 weeks pay as this would mean she could stay out of work and look after our son for a further couple of months.
Also is redundancy pay taxable, I've checked out basis.ie but no mention of redundancy during maternity leave or none that I can find

Thanks
Jabber

Cheers
Found everything I needed there, her company was trying to pull a fast one.

Hi,
I worked for a large company and was on maternity leave when my section closed.They cannot by law make you redundant while on mat leave...They must wait until you get back.Then they can only enter into negociations,,,by law...regards loughshinny.

Back