Wi-fi Hotspots in Dublin Airport

I think that somebody (BT?) still operates an open WiFi hotspot in Dublin Airport. You might find more info among .

Good one this.

Work in IT for a company that uses airports all the time. After getting our latest set of laptops with wireless in them I decided to go to the airport myself (sick and tired of being asked "where does it work?") .

Bravely I ventured up to the Airport information disk to get the "simple" info. No good. The lad inside was embarrassed and tried his utmost to find out where and does it still work. He told me he gets asked regularly about it and despite escalating the query had not received any answer from above of their IT department. I asked could I go around the airport to scan and there was no problem with this. I was obviously not allowed into the boarding areas but....

Upstairs I went and lo and belold there was wifi and free. The message I received was about the EU presidency and it being free till Aug 2005. This was April 2005. Sat down and proceeded to work for 2 hours online for free.

Will add more when I get to travel .

Thanks for the update Guzzler. My boss told me yesterday that you have to pay 10 euro for one hour now. I will check it out tomorrow. Do you need to go to certain areas or is it free everywhere ?

The best place for me was upstairs directly across from the bar entrance sitting at the restaurant.

I will ask some of the users when they get back about their stories. I know that now when staff are stateside they only stay in hotels with it free (and trust me these are economy hotels) . They reckon it saves them a day or 2 when they get back on tidying up loose ends.

guzzler said:
T I know that now when staff are stateside they only stay in hotels with it free (and trust me these are economy hotels) .

Funny - in the US it's often the cheaper hotels which offer "free" broadband internet access (wired or wireless) with the dearer and more up market hotels charging for it! Mind you, the chances of latching on to an open wireless hotspot over there are much greater too. I stayed in an SF hotel recently which charged for internet access but got free access through an open/free hotspot somewhere in the vicinity (and accessible on the 23rd floor! :)).

In my experience

They had free Wi-fi all over the terminal for the Eu presidency last year (jan-june) .. when you started it up you got a message saying so.

This worked for a long time after the presidency and still does to some extent

In my experience (airside - i've never tried landside) it works best in Pier A - which is unfortunate as this is the least pleasant part of the airport. All the public areas in Pier A down near the end of the pier (the round bit at gates A7-14) have generally excellent free WiFi.

I have not reliably got a connection recently in Pier B/C public areas - The BMI business lounge has some sort of wi-fi network that you can connect on .. but I don't think you can connect outisde the lounge... ditto for the Anna Livia lounge.

Yes - you need an 802.11 WiFi (usually 802.11b and/or 802.11g) enabled laptop which usually means either built-in (e.g. Intel Centrino or other similar alternatives) or with a WiFi PCMCIA/CardBus expansion card wireless capabilities.

Glad to report that Dublin airport still provides free wireless courtesy of Eircom. I only checked down at the Departure gate A. It worked fine. My boss reckons he has to pay for it in the business lounge so I was delighted to tell him that everyone else can get it for free at the gate. Luton and Birmingham both had wireless but you had to pay for it (10 euro per hour), so well done Dublin Airport !!

Working perfectly right now beside gate A14

For those interested @ 6am this morning the security queues were a pretty bad 20 mins .... they really need to get that sorted asap

Back