Why would I not want the Gardai to know my DNA profile?

No need to plant evidence when you can just change the database entry to match the evidence that you've found.

But how would your average, or even well above average Garda get write access and change DB records and cover up the standard record versioning history? I have DBAs with 15+ years experience that couldn't do that to internal databases we have that aren't exposed to the internet, or hold data that anyone external would be interested in.

Why isn't this happening wholesale with fingerprints?

But how would your average, or even well above average Garda get write access and change DB records and cover up the standard record versioning history? I have DBAs with 15+ years experience that couldn't do that to internal databases we have that aren't exposed to the internet, or hold data that anyone external would be interested in.

Why isn't this happening wholesale with fingerprints?

Its not just Garda misuse we need to fear. What if for example the Chinese Government (who have teams of cyber warfare experts) want to discredit a dissident or human rights activist living in Ireland? Being a suspect for a serious crime even if later exonerated would muddy their reputation, it might not be likely but those sorts of possibilities should be of concern.

I share all concern about the state's ability or capability of securing the system. For example Gardai still, illegally, access PULSE, but also the falability of those in charge, the encryption of the information, etc. However, I wouldn't worry too much about the Hollywood style hackers (but Sneakers is still an awesome film).

To be honest this would be my concern more than hackers etc. Some underwriter in an insurance company bribing or otherwise influencing someone with access to get a profile so he can screen for genetic disorders etc a few years down the line when DNA mapping is cheaper and more easily done.

Its not just Garda misuse we need to fear. What if for example the Chinese Government (who have teams of cyber warfare experts) want to discredit a dissident or human rights activist living in Ireland? Being a suspect for a serious crime even if later exonerated would muddy their reputation, it might not be likely but those sorts of possibilities should be of concern.

They do, but they're generally more focused on stealing military designs or other intellectual property. The effort and coordination required to do that is also very significant. They could steal data, but you just can't plant data without leaving a very big footprints.

What if the DB was never internet connected?

In most of Europe in order to get a passport you have to present yourself at a police station to have your fingerprints taken, which are then stored on your passport and police records.

Thankfully the UK and Ireland have opted out of this system.

The problem with DNA is that "your" DNA can be easily placed at the scene of a crime by a clever criminal to divert the attention of the Gardai to you. If the state had DNA samples of all its citizens consider the following.

Anybody can collect DNA samples without difficulty. Get access to the waste bins at Hairdressers or Barbers and you can quickly amass a wide selection of random hair samples containing DNA. These hairs can then be placed at the crime scene incriminating you.

Here is a good business plan. Collect waste hair from thousands of Hairdressers bins worldwide. Mix it all together and pulverise into microscopic particles. Sell this on the internet to would be criminals. They can lightly sprinkle this dust at their crime scene and implicate half of the planet in their crime.

The taxpayer would have to pay for thousands of DNA tests after every crime.

Anybody can collect DNA samples without difficulty. Get access to the waste bins at Hairdressers or Barbers and you can quickly amass a wide selection of random hair samples containing DNA. These hairs can then be placed at the crime scene incriminating you.

You do realise that cut hair is absolutely useless for the extraction of DNA? Even when the full root is present, DNA extraction is only 60-70% successful.

I think some people have very active imaginations and are watching too much CSI.

You do realise that cut hair is absolutely useless for the extraction of DNA? Even when the full root is present, DNA extraction is only 60-70% successful.

Yeah, but Nidge still shaves his head.

;)

Coincidence ?

:eek:

Back