Why wont Gardai certify original passport?

The vast majority of people do not need to have a photocopy of their passport or driving license verfied by the Gardai. ...The level of documentation required to open an account in Ireland is quite onerous compared to other juristictions.

RaboDirect

And also varies depending on the institution.

Quinn Life required a certified copy of my passport when opening a fund with them. Opened Northern Rock account in approx 2001 with just standard copy of passport. A few months later they wrote back looking for a certified copy. In comparison, Rabo makes it quite easy to open an account (which I also did recently).

I tried to get copies of my passport and driving licence certified in Dundrum Garda station this morning (thanks to the great info on this site, I've decided to put some money in Dolmen's Green Effects fund, and they require this certification). I had the original documents with me, and had made the copies myself.

I was met at the counter by a nice young guard who looked all set to be helpful. Unfortunately he decided to check with an older bangharda, who came out and gave me a big spiel about how the Garda are no longer required to do this.

She said that under the Criminal Justice Act of xxxx (unfortunately I didn't catch the date), the onus is now on financial institutions to 'establish your identity themselves'. I asked if she had any idea how they do this, but she just repeated: 'they have to do it themselves'. She added that the banks are sending people to them every day of the week but that it's simply not a matter for the Garda since this Act was passed. She mentioned the ML10 form but said that's only for use if you lose your passport.

She was in no way grumpy - very courteous in fact. But very firm, and she seemed deadly sure of her facts. I'm afraid I just opened and closed my mouth like a goldfish a few times, and then walked away. Terenure Garda station isn't too far away from me, but I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to try them. I think I'll ring Dolmen on Monday and see what they suggest.

I had Rathfarnham Garda station sign and verify copies of my passport last year in order to take out a Tesco loan. The Garda I dealt with was really nice but she did mention that there has been a huge increase in people seeking verification of ID due to all the on-line banking facilities that have sprung up . The impression I got was that the Gardai feel they have better things to do...so maybe the Gardai as an organisation are fed up with all us Joe Soaps filing in to have our passport copies stamped.

Well in these days of shootings and stabbings and heaven knows what else, I can see where they're coming from.

Still, it's all very well to say that the onus is on the financial institutions to establish identity, but what seems to be happening in practice is that the onus is on the saver/investor to establish their own identity. If I have to go to a solicitor and pay a fee to have my documents certified, well then I am doing the work of proving that I am who I say I am. The financial institution is just sitting back watching the money roll in.

Oh well! Some things never change.

Well in these days of shootings and stabbings and heaven knows what else, I can see where they're coming from.

I can't. The requirement to verify customer's IDs and addresses is one imposed on the financial institutions by law, to prevent the crime of money laundering. The Gardaí are not doing the banks or their customers a favour by certifying copies of documents, they are fulfilling their duty to prevent crime. Anyone who's having difficulty getting documents certified would do well to remind the individual Garda concerned of these facts.

I tried to get a photocopy of my passport certified today and was refused. The Garda said the local superintendent for the area issued them an instruction not to do it because they don't want their stamp going around on something that turns out to be fake. Fake passports are "easy" to get. He obviously wasn't going to budge since he'd received an explicit order so I didn't push it. He asked me to tell all my friends, colleagues and relatives about it because they're tired of people coming in looking for it!

I tried to get a photocopy of my passport certified today and was refused. The Garda said the local superintendent for the area issued them an instruction not to do it because they don't want their stamp going around on something that turns out to be fake. Fake passports are "easy" to get. He obviously wasn't going to budge since he'd received an explicit order so I didn't push it. He asked me to tell all my friends, colleagues and relatives about it because they're tired of people coming in looking for it!

This Garda is talking rubbish. Financial institutions are required under money laundering law to get certified copies of ID documents. If the Gardaí are unable to detect false passports, how do they expect anyone else who might certify copies of them - such as bank officials or solicitors - to be able to? What this Garda is saying in effect is that money laundering law with regard to client ID is unenforceable.

What the hell was all that taxpayers' money spent on biometric passports for if they're so easy to forge? If I was in your position I would write to the superintendent concerned and tell him or her that if they will not allow their subordinates to certify a copy of your ID, you will take a complaint to the Garda Ombudsman Commission.

If a Garda refuses to certify your documents can you get them to write it down for you there and then that they are refusing to do so and the reasons for refusing coz I'd like that in writing before I would go to the Garda Ombudsman. They might then think twice about it, it's easier to certify than write a reason for refusal.

your local bank should have no problem in certifying this- especially if it involves opening an account with another financial institution.

If you're no longer living close to the branch you opened the account with, then this bank can call the branch closest to you and ask them to do this.

I've done this myself many times.

your local bank should have no problem in certifying this- especially if it involves opening an account with another financial institution.

I want it to set up a sharewatch account. Does the EU money laundering legislation allow a bank to certify it. I thought the list was a Garda, solicitor, notary public, or chartered/CP accountant.

I want it to set up a sharewatch account. Does the EU money laundering legislation allow a bank to certify it. I thought the list was a Garda, solicitor, notary public, or chartered/CP accountant.
Presume it doesn't have to be a publicly practising accountant? Is ACCA also recognised for this purpose?

Back