Why was I not offered Tracker 10 years ago?

Be interesting to look back at posts on Askaboutmoney (and other forums) at that time to see if askaboutmoney users were aware of the advantages of trackers.

I was not aware of how valuable a tracker was. But I most certainly do now. :)

Fair question. But I've had it six years now and I know I'm not going to get better so I don't really recall the exact rate. But just for you Manuel I looked it up and it's .57 over the ECB rate. So a little more than I thought but I won't complain. :D

I can thank AAM for helping me in arriving at the cheapest rate available at the time of getting my initial mortgage (UB/ecb+1.05%) in 04/05 and re-mortgage in 06 (NIB/ecb+0.59%).
If it wasn't for the info posted ref. trackers on aam, most likely I would have missed out (initial mortgage preceeded the 'I don't know what a tracker mortgage is' ad campaign)

Regarding not telling, I told EVERYONE. For years. Where I work there are around 80 people, all of whom had mortgages or were going to have one in the not so distant future. Of those 1 (one) switched to a tracker after several years, and 0 (zero) of 1st time buyers took this option. Of the one, this person stayed with ICS at .9% and when I asked why he didn't just go to NIB, he said he couldn't be bothered. Of outside work friends, 1 (one) switched, again after a period of time. The latter bring me/us to dinner once a year as a 'thank you'. I couldn't have tried any harder for people to keep their hard earned money. Total ambivalence.
Same experience - told plenty - don't know anyone that acted. One guy said that "I know what your saying but I like my local bank manager/staff". Does he still like his local bank staff (assuming they even still have jobs with that bank)? Have not seen him since to ask.

Back