Why Such A Vast Chasm Between UK & Irish Prices For TVs (& Other Stuff)?

I was thinking of doing the same but baulked at the thought of "what if". I did a check just now and the irish shop gives a 5 year guarantee and a free BD player. If added together it comes to about 800 euro!

Enjoy your new plasma, perhaps you might post back about pic quality.

Euro is now nearly 93 pence.!!

noah

Exchange rates are a big issue. I've my eye on a 40" Samsung which is 1,300 down here. I began looking at the Dixons website and the tv was €870 (at xe.com exchange rates) but exchange rate movements have meant it's fallen to €778. That's a difference of over €500. I would be willing to pay more for the convenience of buying locally, but not €500 more, so it looks like I'll be heading north for it.

I find this thread interesting. I am considering buying AV kit. A few things I've found include
richersounds charging substantially more if you pay in euros than if you pay in sterling - always pay in sterling from their website - example Denon S101 - £679.95 or 1014.99 euro
Also, I can get a Yamaha DSPAX763 AV amp for £587 + £30 delivery from superfi in the uk - same amp is 799 euro from peats
significant savings given the exchange rate.

further to this - onkyo tx SR606 amp in soundstore yesterday - 699 - I'm buying it for 315 sterling plus delivery today.

Glad to see this come up again. Not because I started it, but because these points need to be being discussed out there.

Also you have to compare 'like with like'. You can't compare a bricks 'n mortar operation with a purely online store, the overheads and service are different and there will generally be a price differential to reflect this.

Richersounds, bricks & mortar all over UK, with a store in Belfast, and are renowned as much for their great customer service as their prices: same TV I mentioned in my OP - £1100, including 5-year warranty . . .

[broken link removed]

€1211 today. €20 shipping south for boards.ie members. To keep the discussion current, this TV is now €1900 from panasonicshop.ie, €1800 from Alliance Electric, and (at least up till mid-December) €2200 from Harvey Norman.

It's capitalism. Buy low , sell high. The bigger the profit, the better.
What's 'bad' about it?

If you're a seller, nothing.

That is until punters cop on and realise they have alternatives, and their resentment of your greed flourishes as they learn more and more by asking more and more questions, until eventually they happily leave you high and dry because they begin to do their shopping where their limited cash goes a lot further. And all the while their consciences are as clear as yours was back when you were ripping them off . . .

I had been looking at this TV and the earlier models over the last 2 years but could not justify the purchase cost here. I had searched online but could not find any dealer who would deliver outside of mainland UK.
Seeing the post above for the UK site, I was hugely interesested and followed up with a call to them. I have bought the TV in question including delivery to ROI for under 1400 Euro from them. Thats 800 euro left in my pocket that I would have spent if I purchased locally. That should be more than enough to cover any repair costs if I have to get the TV seen to locally. Thanks to the OP for the link. :D

Good for you, Ivannomonet. What do you think of the TV? PM me if you don't want to tell all on this thread.

I was thinking of doing the same but baulked at the thought of "what if". I did a check just now and the irish shop gives a 5 year guarantee and a free BD player. If added together it comes to about 800 euro!

Enjoy your new plasma, perhaps you might post back about pic quality.

Euro is now nearly 93 pence.!!

noah

If you're talking about panasonicshop.ie, IIRC, the BD player included in the offer was either the DMP-BD30 or BD35? The BD30 is disconinued now (AFAIK), but its replacement, the DMP-BD35, is currently £190 (€210 today) from Richersounds.

That brings your RS spend up to €1441 (at today's rate): TH-50PZ80 TV @ €1211 (including the 5-year pan-European warranty) + DMP-BD35 BD player @ €210 + €20 shipping.

Panasonicshop.ie's price today for this TV is €1900. Even if the BD offer was still on, that's still €469 dearer than RS's €1441.

"Free" BD player, eh?

A few things I've found include richersounds charging substantially more if you pay in euros than if you pay in sterling - always pay in sterling from their website - example Denon S101 - £679.95 or 1014.99 euro.

I've been in direct contact with the manager of RS in Belfast, and he posts on boards.ie - there are a number of important things here: 1. their .ie site is rarely updated. 2. The Belfast store can aparrently get you pretty much anything you fancy from the .com site, and even some products not even listed on either the .ie or .com sites. 3. The Belfast store will charge you the .com web price when you tell them that's where you spotted the product/deal. 4. Aparrently they prefer you pay in stg - easier for them, cheaper for you.

I couldn't have ever dreamed that I could own AV gear as good as I'm getting, but by researching on-line and shopping outside ROI, I'll soon be getting a big-brand 50" 1080p HD plasma TV, a very decent Denon AVR, award-winning QAcoustic speakers, an award-winning Panasonic 400GB HDD DVD recorder, a 320GB Freesat PVR, a PS3 and an XBox 360, a heap of peripherals for the PS3 & XBox, and all the cables & brackets to put it all together for just over €4200, including shipping where applicable. I'm resisting the temptation to put that figure in bold, but it deserves to be. How many of you ever thought you could own such gear for that sort of money?

Same products in ROI? Well over €6000, and that's with QAcoustics' older 1000-range speakers (rather than the latest 1000i-range I'm getting), which are actually almost double RS's price.

Whether this is all down to greed, VAT, shipping, insurance, wages, economies of scale, currency rates, the rain, or a combination of all of these, it still amounts to ROI, and I sarcastically applaud all the movers and shakers who so effectively got us seemingly irreversibly to this point . . .

Peace,

Mark

Just an update...
I bought this as I said above and was showing the link to a brother of mine. He bought the same set from them 2 days later.
He received his TV as advertised within 3 days from the UK, mine arrived 20 days later and when I opened the box I found the screen was damaged in transit. Obviously mine had been thrown around for a few weeks in the back of a lorry for some reason and was damaged as a result. Outer box showed no damage but the TV had obviously taken a belt to smash the screen.
His was perfect, and picture quality is stunning. I've watched a few films on it with him. I had to arrange the return of my damaged unit (no cost to me) and am awaiting delivery of the replacement which I have been advised will be with me on Monday next.
Bad luck on my part but his experience of the deal was great.
Outside of my disappointment at the delay I have no qualms about shopping in the UK with my money. And I dont buy the argument that the 800 euro price difference is soley to do with costs down here.

FYI Ivannomonet, aparrently the TH-50PZ80 is currently in poor supply from Panasonic.

Might need to be prepared for replacement not being as speedy as you'd like, though I hope not for you.

Mark

FYI Ivannomonet, aparrently the TH-50PZ80 is currently in poor supply from Panasonic.

Might need to be prepared for replacement not being as speedy as you'd like, though I hope not for you.

Mark

I gathered as much from reading various forums so I dropped them a mail to say if there is any delay I will happily accept the PZ81... :)

Unless you want to be able to record Freesat. Then you need a Freesat PVR, meaning the Freesat tuner in the TV is superfluous.

Mark

Progress! Harvey Norman have now got the TV I want reduced to €2000!

Maybe I should've asked if they'd price-match Richersounds' £1100 (€1160 today), including the 5 year warranty? :p That's where I ordered mine today - back in stock now.

BTW, I'm not sure which AAM forum would be the best place to ask this question, so I hope it's okay to ask on this thread:

What's the most cost-effective way to pay for goods in Northern Ireland?

Visa over the phone from ROI?

Visa in-store?

Pay £STG cash in-store?

Where best to get £STG cash - a ROI bank or a NI bank?

Thanks,

Mark

Panasonic TH-50PZ80.

[broken link removed]

£1100 = €1180 on xe.com today, but was €1160 on 25th, when I posted.

Mark

Just wanted to update...I've had a few days to check this TV out and the picture quality is stunning... Sky SD & HD and DVD's look superb...ITV looks crap but then it always did....

FYI, mine arrives on Thursday.

The TV, a suitable wall bracket and delivery came to £1085 with one year warranty (and option to buy 5 year warranty for £100 at any time before end of 1st year).

On day of purchase, xe.com said £1085 = €1237. Today it says €1200. D'oh!

I'm not complaining - €1237 for this TV + a bracket is still great value.

Yay the internet!

Mark

Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet? :D

Welll, let us know if its arrived and what your impressions are..
Since you started the thread its only fair that you get on put on a smiley face!

Arrived 10:30am. It's up on the kitchen wall for now.

Can't comment on anything yet, other than to say it works. I've not yet connect TV or DVD - I've some other small things to sort before I can do that.

It's big, but in my kitchen (7m x 5m) it doesn't seem so big.

Better update on Monday. Hopefully I'll be posting a whole bunch of smilies . . . ;)

Actual amount that came up on VISA balance for TV, wall bracket + delivery: €1228.

My feelings on ROI prices vs www/UK prices are the same. I'm now in a more upbeat frame of mind, looking forward to getting more goodies at great prices.

Mark

Connected my cheapo Goodmans DVD player with HDMI today. TV says 720p on Star Wars: A New Hope. Looks great. My Star Wars addict mate called over for a shufty and said he was blown away, even though it was only SD upscaled to 720p.

I've just used normal and cinema default settings, till it's "run-in". Sound isn't great at all - quite thin. But I always planned to use a 5.1 amp/speakers set-up, so that's not an issue.

I'll be connecting up Irish analog (for now) and free satellite over the next few days, so I'll report back then.

Mark

I am keen on plasma. look here for good setrtings run it in for 200 hours with these, it ensures less likelihood of burn in if you do. I liked these on mine but after a certain number oh hours it will dim, mine did at 1700, then you reset to your liking.

[broken link removed]

enjoy

noah

Thanks Noah.

I'm wary of screen burn - I've told wife & kids not to let DVD menus linger, don't stay on channels with fixed logos, and turn off the TV when not watching...

£STG is back at €1.109 now - I'm ordering some more stuff from Belfast tomorrow. :D

The amp I want has gone up £100 in 5 days. :mad: Wish I'd had the cash earlier . . . Damn yen & dollar . . . (I think . . . :eek:)

Mark

Back