Why So Many Charity Shops?

Alwyn

Does anyone know what the surge in charity shops around the country is all about?

I went nosing in one the other day and didn't think the items on sale were any cheaper than your average discount store.

I suppose the obvious answer would be that there is a need for them,due to the economic downturn.
Ive also noticed a huge increase in Vintage shops,and a lot of them are the same as you would see in Charity shops.

Buying stuff in charity shops is seen as a bit 'cool' and edgy nowadays. There's a huge interest in vintage clothes and old crockery etc. Apparently, the more affluent an area the more likely to have charity shops.

I noticed there's also a crowd who pay people for their old clothes. Are they sending these clothes to third world countries?

The charity shops in Cork seem a lot busier of late. I think some new ones have opened also. Oxfam is my "favourite" for books.

I buy books in them
Got a few John Grisham novels for 50c each.
When I'm finished with them, I just leave them back

On another note would it be realy bad form to haggle in a charity shop or is it fair game? Just wondering

My mother in law often gives me charity shop clothes for my new baby. Am I being a snob by not wanting these clothes? The clothes in Tesco and Dunnes are so lovely and cheap - even though we don't have much money we're well able to dress the baby cheaply. Especially given how often babies spit up and soils their clothes. I'm happy to take gifts of clothes from my sister or from friends but am not happy with charity shop clothes. Am I unreasonable?

My mother in law often gives me charity shop clothes for my new baby. Am I being a snob by not wanting these clothes? The clothes in Tesco and Dunnes are so lovely and cheap - even though we don't have much money we're well able to dress the baby cheaply. Especially given how often babies spit up and soils their clothes. I'm happy to take gifts of clothes from my sister or from friends but am not happy with charity shop clothes. Am I unreasonable?

I'm a bit squeamish about charity shop clothes as well. I know I can get them cleaned but I hate not knowing who wore them before me.

I'm a bit squeamish about charity shop clothes as well. I know I can get them cleaned but I hate not knowing who wore them before me.

Im not remotely squeamish about charity shop clothes myself but I can see how people would prefer to dress a baby in new clothes - given the soiling that babies clothes go through.

Ive had some great clothes bargains myself over the years - in college I was entirely dressed from charity shops - I had the most wonderful (read awful but I was young and thought it was wonderful) fake fur jacket - 16 pounds in Oxfam - I wore it for years and thought I was gorgeous.

The charity shops in Cork seem a lot busier of late. I think some new ones have opened also. Oxfam is my "favourite" for books.

Mrs. Foutish is a great one for filling up the charity shop bags with clothes, books, toys, etc. I'm usually sent in to the shops with them rather than leaving them for collection in the porch. (We get a lot of very dubious flyers about clothing for needy people, etc.).

But my point is that, rarely does somebody working in the shop say "Thank you" or "It's much appreciated." All I seem to get is "Leave it over there in the corner" etc. I don't drop it in to get thanks but I often feel that they couldn't care less if I bring things in or not.

I'd much prefer to give the stuff to needy families but I'd hate to embarrass anyone by doing so.

I'd much prefer to give the stuff to needy families but I'd hate to embarrass anyone by doing so.

I know of a local womens refuge who very gratefully accept womens and childrens clothes, toys and books - not reselling items, using them directly - you could check your local area for same.

Lex,

Must say that any time I've left in a few bits to my local charity shops, I do get a "thank you" - like yourself, I'm not looking for thanks, but it is nice to hear.

There is a lot of money to be made running a charity shop. Its all cash. On the downside, you get in a lot of rubbish on the plus side this rubbish (clothes) can be sold on to recycling companies by weight. A nominated owner only has to pay over a percentage of earnings to the charity.

My Wifes sister gave us a load of clothes her kids had when they were babies,happy to get them and as we finished with them we passed them on to my sister who has a child a year younger than our second youngest.

Its not that we cannot afford new clothes but most of these clothes are as new,little or no wear as kids grow so fast,waste not want not.

Personally I would have no problem buying kids clothes in a charity shop,pop em in a high temp wash and hey presto,good as new (have not done so though as have not needed to) but you know what I mean.

Edited:my wife informs me that getting Baby clothes in a charity shop would be a definite no go.

Mrs. Foutish is a great one for filling up the charity shop bags with clothes, books, toys, etc. I'm usually sent in to the shops with them rather than leaving them for collection in the porch. (We get a lot of very dubious flyers about clothing for needy people, etc.).

But my point is that, rarely does somebody working in the shop say "Thank you" or "It's much appreciated." All I seem to get is "Leave it over there in the corner" etc. I don't drop it in to get thanks but I often feel that they couldn't care less if I bring things in or not.

A lot of these are people sending the clothes to Africa etc. and selling them there. I've seen it happen, I know a company that does haulage on the containers they fill them up with for shipping out. They go through a few 40' containers a week!

Complainer, in answer to your question - no.

I know someone who runs a few charity shops. He trades under their name, pays a portion of his revenue to the charity and keeps the rest. Something akin to a franchise.

I know someone who runs a few charity shops. He trades under their name, pays a portion of his revenue to the charity and keeps the rest. Something akin to a franchise.

and the portion for the charity would most probably be in the region of 10 to 15% :(

and the portion for the charity would most probably be in the region of 10 to 15% :(

Thanks for the updates. I never knew that at all. I wonder about how the charity could even monitor the turnover to know that they are actually get 10-15% of the right figure?

Back