Why should my Employer contribute to my PRSA

I'm not sure if it is appropriate for you to ask other AAM users to publicly divulge these details to you. If anyone is naive enough to do so, they could well end up getting themselves into trouble with their employer, for example if their pay and conditions are subject to a confidentiality clause, or if they have breached their employer's internet usage policies by logging on to AAM at work.
Go to the likes of IBEC or ISME for such information if you really need it.

Not looking for PPS numbers!!! Just want some guidelines as to what is a reasonable % to ask for. Even if somebody does not want to "divulge" via a thread they always have the option to e-mail me privately. I would much appreciate any guidance anybody can provide.

On the other hand if you need to back up your figures with your employer then they will presumably need more than just a printout of a thread from a message board containing posts from (mostly) anonymous/pseudonymous posters?

For a company that operates an occupational pension scheme for staff - 5% would be an "average" employer contribution.

If you were to sample all occupational pension schemes in Ireland - the median company contribution would be about 5%.

Of course, about 50% of employers do not opreate an occupational pension scheme at all - so on this basis your employer may argue for a lower employer contribution!!

How safe is that? Nobody knows who you are. And you are going to present this information to your employer...

I just can't seem to say the right thing here!!!! Basically if anybody can provide any guidelines similar to CapitalCCC as above I would appreciate it very much. Anybody who does not want to provide information that is fine too!!

(I would need this to verify to the Directors that I am not just pulling figures out of hats).
How are you going to do this? I could PM you and tell you that I work for McDonalds and they contribute 50% of salary to my pension!

This presentation might be helpful also:

[broken link removed]

Provides a useful summary of pension coverage/benefits.

Employer saves prsi at 10.75% of employee prsa contribution as long as the prsa is deducted from employee's salary.So 'ee contributes 100, 'er does not have to pay prsi on 100,thereby saving 10.75 so 'er could contribute 10.75 to prsa at no additional cost.

I have trawled through Revenue.ie and cannot find confirmation of the above. The only reference made is "...Contributions paid into a PRSA will benefit from tax relief at an individuals marginal tax rate. There will also be relief from PRSI and the health levy for employees...". This implies to me that ONLY employees benefit from PRSI/health levy on contributions made by themselves and NOT employers. Can anybody direct me to a reliable official source which answers this questions.

That point is true but the authoritative word on it is probably buried somewhere in the tax briefings or TCAs themselves so it may be difficult to root it out. In a previous job I was aware of this point, suggested to my employer that they might redirect any employer PRSI "saving" into my pension as a bonus at no real cost to themselves, they checked it with their accountant and once it was all OK they went with it.

Back