Why 'Republic' of Ireland?

RMCF

Just watching the Euro's and got to wondering why we still have to be called 'the Republic of' Ireland?

Would Ireland not do?

There's other republics out there, but they don't use 'the Republic of' in front of them. France for example?

Republic of Ireland - as opposed to Northern Ireland.

In rugby - its just Ireland I think because its players are from all of Ireland

Just watching the Euro's and got to wondering why we still have to be called 'the Republic of' Ireland?

Would Ireland not do?

There's other republics out there, but they don't use 'the Republic of' in front of them. France for example?

Yes but there isn't another country called Northern France is there! :D

Czech Republic still use the full name.

I would prefer "Republic of Ireland" than "Southern Ireland" which certain English companies refer to us as.

I would prefer "Republic of Ireland" than "Southern Ireland" which certain English companies refer to us as.

It's a lot more than 'certain English companies' who use geographical abstractions to refer to this country. This country is regularly referred to on radio and on TV as The South. Especially by Sinn Féin. It really bugs me :mad:.

Well by the same token plenty of people and media in this country refer to Northern Ireland as The North. The northernmost county on this island is part of the Republic! So it's not just 'them over the water' who get it wrong!

Last edited:

Would Ireland not do?

After years of confusion and debate UEFA came up with the names for the two teams from Ireland.

I once emailed my local paper here in the English Midlands when one of the reporters used "Southern Ireland" in a column, pointing out that malin Head is in the Republic and is the northernmost point of the island.

Fair play to the man, there was an apology in his column the following week.

Ah now, do people get bothered over Southern Ireland?

Did you watch Italia 90?
Remember the winners Federal Republic of Germany or was that German Democratic Republic.
Or like the rest of us did you just say West Germany and East Germany? The border wasn't a straight line, like Malin Head it wasn't simply west/east

The English mean no harm when they say it :)

Ah now, do people get bothered over Southern Ireland?

Becuase this country is just that - a country. It has a name, a Constitution, 3 branches of Government, representation in the United Nations, etc. Why should anyone use a name, to refer to this country, that is not the name of the country ?

Northern Ireland is what it is. A part of the United Kingdom, 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster. Abbreviating it to The North is easy to see and understand.

The same cannot be said of this country; there is no equivalence between our status in the world, and that of Northern Ireland.

Referring to this country as The South is, IMHO, dismissive and an insult. Unionists use it which ties in to their historic attitude to this country. Sinn Fein use is because they aspire to a 32 country Republic and are ambivalent about acknowledging the reality.

Referring to this country as The South means the rest of the island that is not The North. That is wrong. That is the tail of the dog referring to the rest of the dog as 'not Tail'.

Back