why no best before date on potatoes? how do you tell they are 2 old?

NOAH

I do the shopping and to guide me in relation to buying fresh produce I use the best before dates or use buy but recently with bags of potatoes, ie 2.5kg I am stumped. A lot of them use codes. Recently I bought maris piper and it said packed 14 and as this is June I assumed packed on 14 June so ok but at weekend I bought another pack and it said packed 14 June, now its 24th.
I mentioned this at till and was told shelf had just been re-stocked.

How long do spuds last?? And how do I tell which are the freshest?

noah

Spuds probably been in storage for months before hitting the shops. Potatoes store very well as long as they are stored correctly. Buy firm potatoes that have no sign of any sproting and your ok.

The plastic bags that most spuds are bought in are not good for keeping them good, but they would have been stored in large hessian sacks before being put into the plastic packaging.

Agreed with above - Stored in a cool shed or cool kitchen press in breathable (A few holes like!) brown paper bags works well...

thanks all, I was in Newry last week, checked in Sainsburys and.... yes they have 2 dates on spuds, display until, and best by. Now that is neat.

noah

Back