Why is the EBS not chasing the mortgage shortfall?

Discussion in 'Personal Insolvency, bankruptcy, etc' started by J Hayes, 10 May 2017.

1. Catty2014

Catty2014 New Member

Similar situation guys, house bought back in 2008, at only 19; young and silly. Mortgage defaulted in 2011 and in 2015 house was repossessed by EBS and sold. There was residual debt of over 200k and when I requested my credit report recently, it showed that payments were made for 9 months in 2016. I did not make any payment so wonder if EBS could be ‘faking’ payments in order to not let the 6 year statue of limitations kick in? Also, they are adding around €750 monthly to the balance owed. Can they do that? Thanks

2. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

How can you see that from credit report? You would need a statement to see repayment?

Yes. That equates to approx 4.5% interest.

3. Catty2014

Catty2014 New Member

The credit report shows number of months in arrears and for 9 months the arrears reduce to zero and then start to build again ie 1 month in arrears, 2 months in arrears etc. I suppose I am assuming that payments were made the months the arrears reduce back to zero..?

4. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

Not necessarily. They might have capitalised the arrears, or recalculated a repayment or something. It'd be very strange for them to repay your mortgage for you!

5. Catty2014

Catty2014 New Member

I thought maybe they might be making it look as if payments were made, in order to push out the statue barring.. Very dark I know! But cannot understand why else the debt is still on my icb report given that it’s been 8 years since last payment and 6 years from last contact