Why is statutory redundancy capped at 600 euro per week?

Laughahalla

It seems like this 600 euro cap for statutory redundancy has been in place for years now.
Where did this number come from and should it be linked to inflation ?

It seems like this 600 euro cap for statutory redundancy has been in place for years now.
I think it dates from when employers were able to draw on the social insurance fund for redundancies, called the "redundancy rebate scheme". This was abolished over a decade ago but I presume government didn't want high earners' packages coming from this fund.
Where did this number come from and should it be linked to inflation ?
There is very little in Irish legislation that is formally linked to inflation. These things are usually adjusted on budget day.

2005 seems it was the last increase from 400 pounds to 600 euro. It had previously been increased in 2001, so I assume up to then was adjusted at some reasonable frequency.

I would agree with NoRegretsCoyote. Its value has been eroded through inflation over the years.
€600k a week or €31k a year today puts you well outside the top tax bracket, and is nearly 40% below the average full-time income of about €50k these days.

It's another area where high earners pay a lot of PRSI but don't get the benefit back.

€600k a week or €31k a year today puts you well outside the top tax bracket, and is nearly 40% below the average full-time income of about €50k these days.

It's another area where high earners pay a lot of PRSI but don't get the benefit back.
The employer pays more and gets absolutely nothing back.

Most people aren't aware of this or don't feel it affects them so no pressure to change it...

Back