Why is generic sugar precisely €1.19/kilo everywhere in Irleand?

What's another year! 1kg generic sugar still precisely €1.19 in Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalue, Lidl, and Aldi. But there are some small cracks in my local gala 79c (short dated but this does not matter for sugar), 1€ / kg at Iceland and Dealz.

First time I have seen this thread. Surely there should be an investigation into possible price fixing. That is a criminal offence so far as I know. Maybe make a complaint to the Gardai. I mean that seriously by the way not in any ironic sense.

You'd need a lot more in the way of hard evidence for the Gardai to do anything about it.

Isn't gathering evidence the Gardai's job

In making a complaint, you need to be able to demonstrate a crime has taken place before the Gardai can do anything about it. You'd be better off going to the CCPC.

Given the Europe-wide contraction in the sugar production and supply industry, it's to be expected that prices will coalesce. All selling at exactly the same price is still unusual, but supermarkets regularly (daily!) survey the prices in competing stores, and set their pricing accordingly. There's no crime in that though, it only becomes a crime if some of them have entered into an agreement to fix the price.

I looked back at some old posts and sugar has remained at exactly €1.19/kg at all five major supermarkets since 2011. Before that it was exactly 83c/kilo for several years. Some smaller operators such as Dealz, Iceland, Gala, Spar ect offer better prices from time to time. I find this €1.19/kilo price over five years very peculiar indeed!

Back