Why is Bitcoin "digital gold" crashing right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But by accusing me of being disingenuous you are saying that I am trying to deceive

Ok, if that is your interpretation of my comment then I retract as that is not my intention.

The information available to me, re bitcoin price, is the same information available to anyone. It is clear that the price trajectory/behaviour reflects more typically the price trajectory/behaviour of property and stocks assets, and not tulips and/or boha. Insofar as any of them are part of a speculative bubble that bursts, then subsequently recovers.

This information is available for everyone to see and it is, in my opinion, disingenuous of anyone who has this information to knowingly deny it.

Bitcoin may return to zero, one day I sure it will. But for now, and for the forseeable future it has value and that value is reflected in its market price.

@WolfeTone : Hardly anyone runs with the Tulip analogy anymore. It's been well and truly outed. i.e. Tulips don't have any of the universally accepted characteristics of what makes for either a good store of value or a means of exchange. Bitcoin on the other hand does.

Correct. And once the tulip mania bubble burst, some 400yrs ago, it never inflated again....unlike bitcoin. The comparisons don't equate in any way shape or form.

Hi Tecate

You are missing the point.

If you look at bitcoin and Women Empowering Women, you would say that there is no comparison.

But the comparison is a Get Rich Quick Scheme where the madness of crowds causes people to take leave of their normal rational senses. From reading your posts, you are clearly an intelligent articulate person. But once you are in the crowd of Bitcoin , you loses your reasoning powers. In many cases, this is accentuated by greed, although it doesn't seem to be in your case.

You will look back at this at some stage in the future, and say

"How could I have been so stupid!?
How come I didn't realise that when something has no intrinsic value that I didn't realise it was worthless?
How come I didn't realise that there was something wrong when I couldn't explain why it was worth $100. Then I couldn't explain why it was worth $1,000. Then why I couldn't explain why it was worth $20,000.
OK, I was going through my anti-authority phase at the time, but how on earth did I think that something without any centralised control was worth anything? And I thought that was a positive feature of it.
How come I bought into that nonsense that as they were making more, the supply was reducing?
And I made a comparison between that bag of hot air and gold!
What on earth was I thinking?"

And then in 20 years time, you will be posting on askaboutmoney warning people who are "investing" in the next bubble: "I got burnt badly by bitcoin. This scheme is a bag of hot air. Believe me. I know from hard experience". And the new wave of enthusiasts will be hitting you with all their crowd-think nonsense arguments. And maybe you will then be shorting whatever the new fad is.

Brendan

I disagree - and my first thought was to say that it's the opposite (i.e. you're the one missing the point) - but on further reflection, I have to say that given the extent of discussion on the subject over three years - you can't really be missing the point. Perhaps ignoring it would be more accurate.

If you look at bitcoin and Women Empowering Women, you would say that there is no comparison.
But the comparison is a Get Rich Quick Scheme where the madness of crowds causes people to take leave of their normal rational senses. From reading your posts, you are clearly an intelligent articulate person. But once you are in the crowd of Bitcoin , you loses your reasoning powers. In many cases, this is accentuated by greed, although it doesn't seem to be in your case.
There are a few things we agree on so lets start there.
- Any new tech comes with a hype cycle (or multiple hype cycles) - and with that comes over-exuberance.
- There's money involved so there's greed involved. ( I won't claim to be immune from it - i'm not. It's part of the human condition - albeit that the speculative aspect of bitcoin/crypto was not what first grabbed my interest/attention - and that other aspect still has my interest as I see a lot of societal good coming from this shift over the fullness of time).
- That greed can shift things away from the reasonable to the irrational.

Where we disagree is that whilst that goes on, it doesn't mean that there isn't something tangible at the heart of bitcoin/decentralised crypto. The very same with your dot com boom n' bust analogy. All of those people were not wrong at all. In fact they were proven very much right (about the tech). Some of them got it very wrong from an investment perspective. Others didn't. In terms of $ outcome, there would have been extremes on both ends (unless of course the investment was correctly sized - which is something that I've advocated for here with regard to bitcoin/crypto).

As regards your latest analogy (that its an out and out scam) - that's neither accurate nor equitable.
As regards 'reasoning powers', that's exactly what I was doing in this instance. i.e. Quite rightly, when you previously (and in the post above) start claiming that bitcoin has no more value/utility than ridiculous things (tulips, your poetry, toenails, etc., etc.), there's a very simple test for that. You respect central banking, right? Well some of them have cited the very same characteristics of what makes for a decent store of value. When I ask you to compare these nonsensical things to bitcoin in that context, you've refused to do that. That doesn't make for a reasoned approach to this discussion and figuring this stuff out.
The reason you don't can only be that you know that the comparison is ridiculous.

Even if bitcoin fails, I don't believe that would be my thought process. I'm capable of reaching my own conclusions, assessing risk and making a decision accordingly. Maybe I'll get it wrong. But then, as I mentioned to you, if an investment is sized appropriate to the risk, what of it (bearing in mind that the risk is asymmetric)?

How come I didn't realise that when something has no intrinsic value that I didn't realise it was worthless?
Because bitcoin implicates a different paradigm based on trustlessness. I'm pretty sure I've explained the rationale behind that a million times already.

How come I didn't realise that there was something wrong when I couldn't explain why it was worth $100. Then I couldn't explain why it was worth $1,000. Then why I couldn't explain why it was worth $20,000.
Why is there no consistency in your claim here? Why do you impose a different set of rules to bitcoin than to gold? Why - in the course of that lengthy discussion - didn't you come clean and acknowledge that any difficulty that bitcoin faces in terms of valuation gold shares? To not do so is disingenuous.
I've long since acknowledged that there is no neat formula for the valuation of cryptocurrencies as there is for equities. However, why single out bitcoin/crypto when you know well that gold presents with the exact same issue? That's in no way reasonable.

How come I bought into that nonsense that as they were making more, the supply was reducing?
You really do yourself a disservice with this in particular, Brendan. You can claim a lack of intrinsic value, we'll disagree but that's ok. Notwithstanding that, when the mining reward was cut in half earlier this year, that means a reduced supply. When the mining reward is cut in half once more in four years time, the supply of bitcoin will be cut once more. This isn't rocket science.

What I was thinking is that scarcity is a key characteristic of a good store of value. That's universally accepted - although you dispute it. And I'm not talking about that one characteristic - I'm talking about how bitcoin scores against those characteristics across the board. How you can claim that scarcity isn't relevant when the vast majority of sovereign currencies have been destroyed through rampant money printing ...I have no words for that.

And then in 20 years time, you will be posting on askaboutmoney warning people who are "investing" in the next bubble: "I got burnt badly by bitcoin.
Had I not sized my investment to a level I was comfortable with, that's a possibility. Given that I have - and given that my thesis on bitcoin is under constant review, I don't think that will be the case.

Your warning for the necessity of an abundance of caution I welcome. Where I vehemently take you to task though is this notion that bitcoin doesn't bring anything to the table. That's just plain wrong.

Lastly, I did 'cash out' of crypto in January 2018 when I felt the market was irrational. After that point - had I listened to the advice being given here by yourself and others - I would have suffered a far from immodest opportunity cost.

Last edited:
There are definitely parallels with the DotCom bubble. Pretty simply you can compare the rise of the ICOs as the same as the multitude of internet companies set up.

The underlying technologies are different, the internet had external actors that supported/forced the adoption, they being the IBMs, Apples, Microsofts along with governments through their publically-funded broadband rollout schemes.

Hi Tecate

OK, I was going through my anti-authority phase at the time, but how on earth did I think that something without any centralised control was worth anything? And I thought that was a positive feature of it.

And then in 20 years time, you will be posting on askaboutmoney warning people who are "investing" in the next bubble: "I got burnt badly by bitcoin. This scheme is a bag of hot air. Believe me. I know from hard experience". And the new wave of enthusiasts will be hitting you with all their crowd-think nonsense arguments. And maybe you will then be shorting whatever the new fad is.

Brendan
Boss you could maybe do with a bit of humility. JP Morgan were once convinced BOHA folk like you. But now they have come a long way on their Digital Asset Journey (DAJ).
But @tecate has already drawn our attention to a research piece by Ria Bhutoria. Ria is Director of Research at Fildelity Digital Assets. Fidelity is a $7 million, million outfit, you may be aware. Ria has a Level II pass in CFA, so with respect a tad more qualified than your good self.
You predict a future price of zero is certain. Ria, despite that impressive qualification and $7trn backing, has the humility to recognise that there can be no certainty. She therefore gives a range of future possibilities ranging from a $500bn increase in market cap (capturing 1% of bond market) through a $670bn increase (5% of Alternative Assets market) to $1.3trn (10% of AA market). That's an increase in price of $27,000, $36,000 and $72,000 respectively.
You will note an element of caution in these predictions, understandable in that in her own words she is addressing folk at different stages of their DAJ. She could have used 10% of the bond market and got an increase in price of $270,000. This is more in keeping with the predictions of mainstream bitcoin enthusiasts.
This is the beauty of bitcoin. There is no way of putting a value on it which does not mean there is a way to put no value on it, as you seem to argue. Any figure at all can be justified for its market cap, especially when its main claim is to be a store of value. John Kelleher of Investopedia argues that in the end of the day its market cap must be related to its penetration as a global medium of exchange. But this is oh so Satoshi. Things have moved on, John is falling behind in his DAJ.

Last edited:
Let me address that long diatribe very simply - tell everyone what the fair value of gold is?
And before there's any suggestion to the contrary, it's entirely relevant to this discussion.

Last edited:
Let me address that long diatribe very simply - tell everyone what the fair value of gold is?
And before there's any suggestion to the contrary, it's entirely relevant to this discussion.
Ah dear, I don't get the usual line by line treatment. Just a Trumpian dismissal. Max was quick to show his appreciation of that, no surprises there.

Ah dear, I don't get the usual line by line treatment. Just a Trumpian dismissal. Max was quick to show his appreciation of that, no surprises there.
I don't see a genuine interest in discussion based on that post your Dukeness. I note the ongoing refusal to apply the same pricing standard to gold (because in that particular respect its in exactly the same position as bitcoin. Everyone can see that but the two of you refuse to acknowledge it).

As regards the constant sledging of anyone 'liking' a post you don't agree with, it provides an insight into your approach to this discussion and whats important to you in that regard. Now if only there was someone of higher unbiased mind to pull you up on stuff like that... :cool:

@Brendan Burgess
I suggest you drop the debate with @tecate as I have felt the need to do on so many occasions. Nothing illustrates his/her obstinacy more than the debate on the meaning of the word "supply". Clearly you are referring to supply as in the sense of the supply and demand price dynamic. Clearly then the whole existing ledger of bitcoins is what is relevant and that increases steadily until 2140. @tecate twists this into a point about the irrelevant concept of the supply of new bitcoins.

Last edited:
His Dukeness cant fess up on the application of the very same pricing scenario for gold. Over to you @Brendan Burgess

The $9 trillion gold industry is on tender-hooks until they get your insight on this - because as it stands right now, it seems they're using the exact same pricing model as the bitcoin market is. In which case - why isn't there any moral outrage here on AAM (as there is with bitcoin) at the lunacy of their 'evaluation' of the shiny metal???

Last edited:

Brendan, you've dodged and dived on this over the course of three years of discussion here. It's beside this specific point at hand as to whether you think gold is not like bitcoin.

HOW is gold valued? HOW do I arrive at the fair price of gold today?

If valuation is similar to bitcoin, then WHY the outrage when it comes to bitcoin and not when it comes to the $9 trillion gold market?

Tecate,

What you need to understand about gold is that it gets dug out of the ground in Africa…..then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.

If only some respected economic commentator - someone with a biteen of credibility in the investment game - had said something like that....

To be serious, an excellent question which I don't recall ever been answered. I won't be on any hooks - tender or tenter!?

Tecate

There is a whole thread which I linked to explaining why there is no comparison between gold and a bag of hot air.

I have not recommended investment in gold. I don't understand how it's valued.

I have pointed out that you will be saying in a few years "How on earth was I so stupid to compare gold with a bag of hot air?"

You can't come up with any explanation of the why BTC is worth $100, $1,000 or $20,000. So you just say "Well fiat currencies are in trouble" or "how is gold valued?". You might as well say that "Bitcoin is worth $20,000 because tulips were worth a house each at one stage" .

It's just more nonsense and it will take you some time and the crash in BTC to zero to appreciate that.

Brendan

Last edited:
There is a whole thread which I linked to explaining why there is no comparison between gold and a bag of hot air.
Brendan - you set this thread out on the basis of 'digital gold' and a discussion in that context. That's what we're doing here. What you've just stated is your opinion - it's not fact.

I have recommended investment in gold. I don't understand how it's valued.
Ok, so lets have a look at exactly that. You recommend the purchase of gold yet you scream bloody blue murder at the notion of someone buying bitcoin. Gold is at $1,878/oz. right now. Should I buy? If I wake up in the morning - and it's $3,000/oz., should I buy?
You'll say that one has intrinsic value and the other doesn't - but besides the point that I don't strictly agree with you - that's not relevant here. Based on your recommendation to buy, I could lose the farm.

You can't come up with any explanation of the why BTC is worth $100, $1,000 or $20,000.
Sure I can - it's valued in the same way as gold....and if that's not to your liking, lets see if you scream blue bloody murder at gold bugs - I'll bet my last bitcoin you won't.

It's just more nonsense and it will take you some time and the crash in BTC to zero to appreciate that.
And you say that will happen in 20 years, right? :cool:

What you need to understand about gold is that it gets dug out of the ground in Africa…..then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.
Indeed they would - as they would with some of the dialogue right here. People claiming that the cutting of bitcoin mining reward is not a reduction (!!). Meanwhile, gold has just become less scarce with the announcement of the worlds latest gold discovery (and the worlds largest gold mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back