Why don't Dunnes Stores round up/ down?

You have literally just invented numbers with no evidence that on average rounding goes in favour of the supermarkets
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.........
But do you honestly think that supermarkets would have adopted the scheme if it didn't go in their favour?

Not an assumption at all Huskerdoo - an example.
But it is extremely common for items to be priced at X.99.
And also at X.29, X.59, etc.

Of course if you buy multiple quantities, things will even out - but if you can only afford a max of two on any occasion, then you stand to loose out.

I just think that retailers should price honestly in round €X.00 euros.

I’m cynical about the motives of any business.
they didn’t have a lot of choice as the Central bank is removing 1c and 2c coins from circulation.
They have avoided the cost of handling coin which is an immediate benefit

Dunnes initially started and rounding up and I think customers were not happy. I am delighted you get the right change. Don’t forget easy to cash out if the right change is in the tray at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I can't remember the last time I saw a 1 or 2 cent coin (or a 5c for that matter). I'd be interested to know how many people are still using cash in the shops, and the overall reduction in cash use since the start of 2020.

also, I get that many people have to watch the pennies, but if you went to the shop every day of the year and got rounded up every time, at most you'd be down €7.30 for the year.

Dunnes initially started and rounding up and I think customers were not happy. I am delighted you get the right change. Don’t forget easy to cash out if the right change is in the tray at the end of the day.
Surely then Tesco, Supervalu, Lidl etc etc customers wouldn't be happy either? My original query was what is the actual reason Dunnes are an outlier. Dunnes would suit themselves and the rounding must be something that they dont want to do. I think personally they should be told to get on with it and fall in with all the other shops in their industry.

I don't really mind getting 1c and 2c in change - as I put them in a jar and after a year they're worth a fiver/tenner which the kids are welcome to.

everything is marked ending in 99 if the don't want to give back 1 or 2 cents ,then they should mark their products in €1.00 or 95 cents on their display stickers

Back