Why doesn't PRSI cover children's dental treatment?

Henny Penny

Just wondering ... I'm covered under my husbands PRSI for routine dental care but our children are not. I asked the citizens advice about this and they told me it's because the children are seen by the school dentist. I phoned the school dentist who informed me that they only see children from 2nd class onwards ... it may be too late for many children by then ... some children in my daughters school have already got permanent teeth at 5.

According to :
HSE Areas are obliged to provide dental services free of charge to:
  • holders and their dependants
  • People who have contracted directly or indirectly from the use of Human Immunoglobulin-Anti-D or from the receipt within Ireland of any blood product or a blood transfusion and who have a Health Amendment Act Card,
  • Preschool children and school children attending state primary schools referred from and examinations.
Priority is usually given to children referred from child and school health services.

Dental services for children under 16 years of age who attend state primary schools and are referred from child and school health services are provided in Health Service Executive (HSE) clinics and in primary schools. Services for others who are entitled to dental treatment are provided in HSE Area clinics or by private practitioners who have agreements with the HSE Area. The HSE Area decides whether you will be treated by one of its dentists or by a private practitioner. If you are to be treated by a private practitioner, you can choose from the list of dentists who have agreements with the HSE Area to provide services.

Henny Penny said:
I phoned the school dentist who informed me that they only see children from 2nd class onwards ... it may be too late for many children by then ... some children in my daughters school have already got permanent teeth at 5.
Hi Henny Penny - you're lucky your child will be seen from 2nd class onwards - my son is not entitled to any free dental, optical or other treatment at all because he goes to a private school! We even have to pay for vaccinations.

Downright discrimination as far as I can see - all children irrespective of their backgrounds or what school they happen to go to should receive the same treatment.

delgirl said:
Downright discrimination as far as I can see - all children irrespective of their backgrounds or what school they happen to go to should receive the same treatment.
Why do you think that?

Just to clarify the matter regarding health screenings and children attending private schools in Ireland. Private primary schools may request the service and the Health Service Executive (HSE) Area has the discretion to extend the service to these schools.

In other words, HSE Areas may extend school health screenings to private schools where the schools request this. It is not true to say that just because your child attends a private school you are obliged to pay the full cost of health services in Ireland.

Children in Ireland have the same entitlement to public health services as their parents. Your entitlement to health services is dependent on primarily your residency in Ireland and secondly your means but not on where you go to school.

CMCR said:
It is not true to say that just because your child attends a private school you are obliged to pay the full cost of health services in Ireland.

Children in Ireland have the same entitlement to public health services as their parents. Your entitlement to health services is dependent on primarily your residency in Ireland and secondly your means but not on where you go to school.
Thanks for that CMCR - below is a letter from the Principal Dental Surgeon of the East Coast Area Health Board which I received on querying why I was unable to make an appointment for my son at the local Health Centre.

On calling the Health Centre the only question I was asked is 'what school does your son go to?' and as soon as I responded with the name of the school, I was told he could not be treated at the Centre as it's only for National School children.

Henny Penny, you may be interested in his response as well as it doesn't say that the service is available only from 2nd Class.

"Dear Ms .....
I refer to your letter regarding dental treatment for your son. Eligibility for treatment through the school dental service comes under the Health Act (1970). The following categories of children are eligible:

- Pre-school children
- Children attending National School
- Child dependents of medical card holders.

In addition, eligibility can be extended to other groups or individuals by the Chief Executive of the Health Board, at his discretion. If your son does not fall into any of the above categories and you wish to seek to have him made eligible, you should write to the Chief Executive, (address). You should give details of any reasons, e.g. medical etc., which you feel would support this.

Yours sincerely
Stephen McDermott
Principal Dental Surgeon"

I don't have any special reasons, medical or otherwise, to seek a discretionary eligibility for my son to receive health service treatment, but do feel that all children should be afforded the same service regardless of their background or what school they attend.

Back