Why does chicken taste so bad?

I used to buy from my local butcher just presuming they were free range. One day we were having a chat and he told me that the chickens weren't actually free range and this is true of a lot of butchers.

I haven't bought there since but now buy free range in Dunnes - for the last month it has 2 free range chickens for a tenner. Bargain.
In the next aisle it has two fresh chickens for a tenner and some people still opt for the fresh over free range.

The thing is the chicken from the butcher had bigger fillets and I had no problem with the taste but just feel better buying free range.

I haven't bought there since but now buy free range in Dunnes - for the last month it has 2 free range chickens for a tenner. Bargain.

Two free range chickens for a tenner??? They must have been paying people to take the battery chickens at those prices

try the farmers markets - the one in Fingal CO Co car park in Swords on Saturdays has Free range chickens for 8.50 (i think) and it doesn't matter what size the bird is. great taste

ever since Jamie Oliver launched his campaign for free range chicken products at the start of this year, I've been opting for free range. Haven't looked back as the taste reminded me of how chicken used to taste.

I think that fillets and boned-and-rolled chicken can taste a bit bland as they don't have the bone - where all the flavour is.

I do the chicken with lemon and garlic thing, don't think the dish matters.
Got free range piggy in marks and sparks yesterday, delighted haven't seen it anywhere and hate to think of intelligent animals cooped up. It's actually called 'outdoor reared', they must not be fully free range, can't go to the shops and the like.

Back