Why do we vote on Fridays?

odyssey06

Seems like it would make more sense to me to vote on Saturday:
* People less likely to have work commitments
* More chance for people to get back to their 'home' for voting if students or commuters
* No need to shut schools
* Still have Sunday to count the votes

Seems like it would make more sense to me to vote on Saturday:
* People less likely to have work commitments
* More chance for people to get back to their 'home' for voting if students or commuters
* No need to shut schools
* Still have Sunday to count the votes
You said it yourself. That's why.

The Environment Minister sets the polling date.

Saturdays would seem to be more suitable unless of course they clash with major events, such as the controversy over the Six Nations Rugby Match against England in Twickenham back in 2016. The polling day was on the Friday before the match and politicians feared that a lot of their voters would be travelling to or already in England on polling day.

Some politicians have said that Friday is the best day for voter turnout and that for some reason Saturdays were not successful in this respect.

If it suits the OP better to vote on a Saturday rather than on a Friday then don't vote if it is too much of an effort.

If it suits the OP better to vote on a Saturday rather than on a Friday then don't vote if it is too much of an effort.

Well that's a spectacularly bizarre comment...

Regardless, if it suits me better, I fully expect it suits a lot of people better too.
I thought the point of what day we vote on would be to maximise voter turnout. But apparently there are other agendas in play including possibly the teacher\schoolkid mafia to consider.

Last edited:
It used to be Thursdays 9am til 9pm. Changed to Fridays to allow those who really wanted to vote and were registered "back home" to travel.

Hours extended too - 7am to 10pm

Saturday voting just would not work. Too many people traveling and having other commitments

Why do some of us vote of Fridays and others won't bother their arses no matter what day is the designated polling day?

Why do we vote on Fridays?

The obvious answer:- Because Friday is the day of the election/referendum.

We're missing the obvious.;)

Back