Why do post offices not sell envelopes?

One of the things that struck me when I moved here was how the Post Office do a lot to remain relevant in this email age.

As well as standard services the Post Offices sell all kinds of stationary, cards, sweets, travel accessories (samsomite wallets for water etc), stamps to print your address, books (similar to an airport selection), photo frames and provide digital photo printing. The thing I find most interesting is that in more remote parts of Switzerland the Post Office vans offer public transport - the idea being if the van has to drive up to some hut up the mountain they might as well make money and offer hikers lifts up.

The GPO and some of the larger post offices have started selling all types of envelopes.

The smaller post offices (probably franchised) don't appear to sell them or may do so on a what suits them basis.

About time, But seriously was in another 2 post offices today and neither sold anything but mid sized stamped envelopes.

That the GPO only started selling these things tell you something.

One of the things that struck me when I moved here was how the Post Office do a lot to remain relevant in this email age.
The thing I find most interesting is that in more remote parts of Switzerland the Post Office vans offer public transport - the idea being if the van has to drive up to some hut up the mountain they might as well make money and offer hikers lifts up.

Very good idea. I heard a very funny story recently about a fellow attending UCD in the late 60's who used to send his laundry home to his mother every Friday . He used to go to Bus Aras, the bus driver took the bag,Ma collected it and then back it came Sun night, washed and ironed, to Bus Aras.

Back