Why do banks close on bank holidays?

Westy. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Not all customers are profitable for banks.
The cost of extended opening hours would probably outweigh the benefits that might be gained from it.
Purple I bet you also earn 3 - 4 times my salary & you'll be able to retire early on a good pension. You must really enjoy your work if you make yourself available even when on your hols...

Westy. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Not all customers are profitable for banks.
The cost of extended opening hours would probably outweigh the benefits that might be gained from it.
Purple I bet you also earn 3 - 4 times my salary & you'll be able to retire early on a good pension. You must really enjoy your work if you make yourself available even when on your hols...

Halifax seem to manage it ok. I was delighted to give them my business.

Are Halifax employees members of the IBOA/Impact?

Or would they be in SIPTU (as some would previously have been employed in ESB shops)?

Are Halifax using longer opening hours as a 'loss leader' to attract business?

Is 9:30 to 5:30 not a 35 hour week (assuming 1 hour for lunch)?

Yes,it is a 35 hour wk, but I was meaning after holidays/bank holidays are taken into account.

CCOVICH. Not sure if they're members of the IBOA. A lot of these special deals are loss leaders. It's generally wise for people to take the whole picture into account when looking at their banking costs. I know for a fact that some of the banks that offered best % Mortgage rates had as a stipulation that you had to open a current a/c, which had quite hefty charges. It's always wise to read all the T & C's before you sign up for anything.

The majority of Halifax employees who belong to a union are members of Amicus or Siptu.

Job-hoppers from other banks now with Halifax may be members of IBOA.

Widespread Saturday opening for the 'big four' is unlikely given that the majority of IBOA members would probably vote against it.
There are plenty of occupations that are Monday to Friday - not just banking.

Thanks for that bit of miselemas. It just struck me that Westy wants banks to open on bank holidays so that when HE has the day off, because of holidays originated by banks, he wants to be able to do his banking !

Back