Why did you vote FF?

I was but then I didn't figure that the alternative to the alternative would be FF, Michael Lowry and Beverly Cooper Flynn!

I read somewhere over the weekend that RTE are bringing a case to have Beverly declared a bankrupt on June 11. If the outcome favours RTE, she will not be able to serve as a TD.

Marion

I read somewhere over the weekend that RTE are bringing a case to have Beverly declared a bankrupt on June 11. If the outcome favours RTE, she will not be able to serve as a TD.

Marion

Nothing would make me happier but have my doubts it will ever happen or at least not for roughly 5 years!!

The Irish Constitution states that all Irish citizens have the right to vote. No provisos.

The constitution says all Irish citizens "IN the Sate" have the right to vote. So I don't think a constitutional challange would work.

So I guess you support non Irish citizens resident in Ireland voting in Irish presidental and Dail elections?

If they live here and pay taxes here, why shouldn't they have a vote? They shouldn't have a vote in their home country as well though.

If they live here and pay taxes here, why shouldn't they have a vote?

There are plenty of people in Ireland with a right to vote who don't pay taxes or contribute to the economy atall. They just take take take.

If they live here and pay taxes here, why shouldn't they have a vote?

They do have a vote, just not in Dáil elections (except if your British)

Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections
Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only

diarmuidc said:
So I guess you support non Irish citizens resident in Ireland voting in Irish presidental and Dail elections?

Yep. If they're resident here and qualify to work here and all the rest then I think they should have a full say in how the country is run.

The constitution says all Irish citizens "IN the Sate" have the right to vote. So I don't think a constitutional challange would work.
You need to read it again: Article 16 1-2 (i)All citizens AND (ii)such other persons in the State as may be ...

If they live here and pay taxes here, why shouldn't they have a vote? They shouldn't have a vote in their home country as well though.
I am not arguing against it, I was just asking. Most people I think will not support that position.

Sorry to stray slightly,but the biggest surprise for me(but maybe not the local constituents) was how the Green candidate in Galway West didn't get in.Can anyone enlighten me?

Johnny, a lot was down to the poor performance in media terms of the Green Lord Mayor of Galway. The water purity (or lack of), the statement about bulding a ring road around the city (which saw a big hoohaa within the party itself). So basically local voters weren't so hot on the Greens. Plus all those aran sweater wearing, pipe smoking, fiddle playing, story telling locals out west are really ravenous capitalists underneath that matted hair!

On the topic of non-Irish voting, if they live in the country 3 years or more can they vote? I'd figure that's fair enough.

Why did I vote FF?

There is no alternative government. Until there is I will vote FF. I don't like them but they really are the best of a very, very bad bunch. I now know that a lot of the country agrees with me.
Nothing was presented to me by either FG or Labour before or during the run up to the election that would make me think they were worthwhile. They blew it...that's why everyone voted FF...not because everyone loves Bertie!

There's an old saying which gets taken out of its box here from time to time...you get the government you deserve. In some ways that rings true...yesterdays transport fiasco was a prime example. People still think our transportation problem can be resolved by lowering emissions, more buses, more trains, a luas etc...clearly it just doesn't work. It helps...marginally, until we have to close one road...then chaos ensues again.
Until we as a nation wake up and realise that drastic solutions will provide long term reward and change the face of life in the big smoke we will forever be faced with colloquial politics from small minded politicians...and get the type of leadership we deserve.

I will be writing to Bertie (yes Bertie) the first chance I get after the formation of the new government on this very subject.

I didn't vote for FF but I think I can see why 41% did. I think it boiled down to a simple question - do you want to change the govt or not ? Traditionally the core FF vote is in the high 30s who vote FF come-what-may. This is topped-up by a 'softer' FF vote of about 6%, which tends to bring them into the low 40's and victory. When about 5% of these shift elsewhere, FF lose. Not enough 'soft' FF voters saw any good reason to switch to the alternative. Plenty of non-FF voters moved to FG, but alas for them, not enough.

The alternatives (FG/Labour) simply did not convince a sufficient number of FF supporters to switch.

We have just told FF that systemic corruption and dishonesty are of little importance to us.Incompetence and massive waste in almost all areas which government are responsible for, just don't matter.Sure the lads are doing their best.They will read this message loud and clear.
Did a vote for FF prevent Dell job losses and others that will follow?
A Nigerian told me recently that, despite large oil revenues, the most basic services continue to deteriorate or are not provided at all.

I read somewhere over the weekend that RTE are bringing a case to have Beverly declared a bankrupt on June 11. If the outcome favours RTE, she will not be able to serve as a TD. Marion

What is the 'rule' on this?

Is there not at least one sitting TD that has served a term in prison?

Back