Why did you vote FF?

Grumpy

Have come to the conclusion that I'm completely out of touch with the pulse of the nation.I need drastic re-eduction.
In the mood Bertie is in, he will put his enemies to the sword.Watch out RTE! Watch out mejia!Am expecting Revenue Audit any day now.
No TV licence fee increase, no reform of libel laws, Tony O'Reilly to be elevated to new House of Lords.
Is it tribal? Dubs believe in concept of nation, as all tribes reside here.For the rest, its Us and Them.

I'm unlike citizens of other nations (USA, Croatia, Gabon) who are allowed to vote in their countries elections. While the spectrum of 1st to 3rd world countries are allowed a say in what happens at home, irish abroad are disenfranchised. So I'm not to blame.

I've marvelled at the level of bile spouted at SF, and at the ham-fisted attacks on the outgoing (and incoming?) taoiseach. Instead of attacking FF on what they've done wrong, it seems the country focussed on alleged payments and the various local squabbles. The economy seems to be okay, for now, so why change horses in mid race?

What has surprised me most of all is the attitude among the "sports fans" in the country. The facilities are poor and getting more so, Primary Schools are underfunded and unloved in this area, so why wasn't there a general uprising? Why did the GAA stronghold of Kerry not put Mr. O'Donoghue to the sword for not supporting greater access to the Tallaght Stadium? It's just too weird.

And one last thing, PJ Mara announced his retirement as a campaign adviser, I wonder has anyone told the Croatian ruling party this as he signed up to help them remain in power this November!

I'm unlike citizens of other nations (USA, Croatia, Gabon) who are allowed to vote in their countries elections. While the spectrum of 1st to 3rd world countries are allowed a say in what happens at home, irish abroad are disenfranchised. So I'm not to blame.

Boo hoo for you! If you're not willing to live here, why should you have a say in how this country is run, or who it's citizens who pay their taxes here decide to vote!

Not willing to knuckledrag and be rude I'll simply say that, actually I do pay my taxes in Ireland, and I would love to live there but work has me abroad. I've always voted in each referendum and election (local, national and european) when at home, which is a lot, and more than most who live in Ireland do. So do a favour, save the snottiness for tissues, it's out of order and place.

Boo hoo for you! If you're not willing to live here, why should you have a say in how this country is run, or who it's citizens who pay their taxes here decide to vote!

I would go further on this, at the risk of drifting away from the OP. I believe that anyone born in Ireland who had to emigrate in the bad years should have a vote here, via our embassies abroad as is the case for other civilised countries. The fact that we exclude a large tranche of our citizens from the democratic process does us no credit.

I disagree and feel that only citizens who are resident here should be allowed vote. Imagine, for example, what effect all the Noraid supporters in the US would have had on the democratic process if they had a vote in the 80s/90s!?

I agree. I don't think you should have a say in the government of what effectively is a foreign country. You should only have a say in a government that governs you.

With reference to the original post - I voted for everybody in my constituency. All 13 of them. Starting at the bottom and working up. Obviously FF got a preference along the way. Do I have to explain why?

So you mean to say that despite playing taxes at home I have no say. Or that all those who emigrated (esp to the UK) and whose remittances kept the country afloat in the bad old days should be totally disenfranchised? But to remedy that I should be allowed vote here instead?

1st of all a person cannot vote in this country (Croatia) unless they are a native or hold a passport, the fact that I live here means that I am effectively stateless, I cannot vote in my homeland and cannot vote here. So the fact that I pay taxes in 2 countries and contribute means that I am less entitled to have a say in the running in either than some loafer who sponges off the state? Come on, nobody can buy that.

I agree. I don't think you should have a say in the government of what effectively is a foreign country. You should only have a say in a government that governs you.

i voted locally, which meant i voted for the most active person in my area who happened to be a FF member. I only saw the rest of them come out of the woodwork when the election was called.
Its such a pity to see the smaller parties squeezed out.

So you mean to say that despite playing taxes at home I have no say.

No I think people like you should be allowed to vote as it is your money the government will be spending. Also people who are on holidays or backpackers away for a year etc should be allowed to vote. I think most people though would object to people who emigrate and become resident in another country and pay taxes in another country etc having a say in who runs the country back home.

Thanks for the backing Sunny, though I do think that those who emigrate should be considered, for the simple fact that tens of thousands were shipped off to the UK and worked to build that country, yet largely remain forgotten and neglected there. The money they sent back, remittances, kept the wolves from our door and 2 years ago I was out near Wanstead and wanted to visit the local Irish support centre. It was closed as funding from Dublin was dropped years before. I asked the local pp, a good Longford man, and he said that in the area there are still Irish emigrants living in total poverty as they worked in construction, services and so on with zero pension plans. I know RTE did a couple of programmes to highlight this problem, so it's only in that sense that I'd push for a wider access to the vote.

Personally speaking I'd vote wherever I lived as it's important to excercise the right. I love Ireland, shed blood for it (not mine :) , I was a boxer) and do feel annoyed and being unable to take part in the election. But then again, it will take the greater electorate to push for change.

On a matter of principle, voting should be confined to the residents of the country - i.e. those who will have to live through the consequences of their political decisions.

I was listening to the radio yesterday to John Gormley - he was saying that it was a real pity (irrespective of your political allegiances) that Irish politics will lose Michael McDowell, Dan Boyle, Joe Higgins - I fully agree with him

I was listening to the radio yesterday to John Gormley - he was saying that it was a real pity (irrespective of your political allegiances) that Irish politics will lose Michael McDowell, Dan Boyle, Joe Higgins - I fully agree with him
I agree. it will be far less interesting.

Okay, one word....Bush! Do you think if most of the world had a chance they'd have given their votes to Gore Well, that implies that they'd be counted, or not put on scrub lists.

On a matter of principle, voting should be confined to the residents of the country - i.e. those who will have to live through the consequences of their political decisions.

Well nobody can complain about incompetence in government or poor planning or sprawl or 2 hour commutes or kyoto or dependance on multinationals now. Because the irish people have basically endorsed the last 10 years of fianna fail government. Another comment I read on the election is apt , the world has changed alot in the last 10 years yet irish people seem to be hoping that by putting back in fianna fail that everything can continue as before, unfortunately not even fianna fail can keep back the tides of change. Change will happen anyway irrespective of whether people voted for it or not

Well nobody can complain about incompetence in government or poor planning or sprawl or 2 hour commutes or kyoto or dependance on multinationals now. Because the irish people have basically endorsed the last 10 years of fianna fail government. Another comment I read on the election is apt

That line bugs me - especially the 'nobody can complain' bit. I most certainly did not vote FF back in to government, even though it appears the majority have - surely I'm in a position to complain??!! :)

Well nobody can complain about incompetence in government or poor planning or sprawl or 2 hour commutes or kyoto or dependance on multinationals now. Because the irish people have basically endorsed the last 10 years of fianna fail government.
Or were lots of them, like me, just utterly under whelmed by the alternative?

Well nobody can complain about incompetence in government or poor planning or sprawl or 2 hour commutes or kyoto or dependance on multinationals now. Because the irish people have basically endorsed the last 10 years of fianna fail government.
Not sure if I follow the logic here Joe Sod....In my case I voted for FF as I think that FF are better than FG. Just because I helped put them there doesn't mean I can't give out....the very opposite in fact...of all people I should be able to give out as I helped put them there!!!!

Firefly.

Or were lots of them, like me, just utterly under whelmed by the alternative?

I was but then I didn't figure that the alternative to the alternative would be FF, Michael Lowry and Beverly Cooper Flynn!:eek:

Back