Why can't I post on Askaboutmoney?

Discussion in 'How to use Askaboutmoney' started by Brendan Burgess, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

There are a few possible reasons

1) You are trying to post in The Craic or Letting Off Steam
    These are restricted to Frequent Posters only. You are not allowed to post on these forums until you have had 51 posts elsewhere and been a member for 30 days.

2) You have registered but you did not confirm your registration
    After registration, you get an email confirming your registration. Of course, if you gave a spoof email address, you will not have received this email. Occasionally anti-spam software may have quarantined the email.

3) You are trying to start a new thread in the Best Buys Forum
    Only moderators can start threads in this forum.

4) You have not registered
    You must be registered to post on all forums except this one.

5) You registered on the old ezBoard site, but not on the vBulletin site
    In April 2005, we moved from ezBoard to vBulletin. You must register again on the new site.

6) The thread to which you are trying to reply has been locked.
    Occasionally, moderators close threads.

Brendan

2. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

2. is the most likely explanation. After you register, you will get this message:

If you gave an invalid email address when registering, you will need to register again.

In some cases, anti-spam software detects the confirmation email as spam. If this has happened, click here and the details will be sent to you again

3. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

If you have not registered or if you enter an invalid username and password, this is the message you will get. If you follow the "Click here" link, it will send you the password to the email address you registered with.

4. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

If you can't post and yet everyone else can, then it is a problem at your end, rather than a problem with Askaboutmoney.

Don't forget, Askaboutmoney is not a commercial site. It is run by volunteers. So please do not email me asking me for ideas. I simply do not have the time to solve what are user errors.

If you still have problems after studying this thread, you can post a question here without registering. If you can't post in this thread, then it is user error. Get a friend of yours with some IT experience to check what you are doing.

Don't just say "Help. I can't post".

Make sure you are logged in as a user.

Give the following information:

• The name of the forum you are trying to post in
    • Whether you are trying to start a new post or to post a reply
    • The error message you are getting

Brendan

5. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Some other things to try

1) Try posting from another pc

You may have viruses on your pc which are interfering with your ability to post or stay logged in. Go to another pc and see if it works.

2) Some employers block access to Askaboutmoney
    Try accessing it from an internet café.

3) Try a different browser
    If you are using Internet Explorer, you may have some setting which is causing you problems. Download Firefox and see if you can access it.

6. 22+allin

22+allin Registered User

Can't start a new post, I am sure I posted before.

7. 22+allin

22+allin Registered User

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    I would like to be able to start a new thread from time to time,but I dont see the new thread button. I have replied to other posts 12 times. Is there a rule that I need more posts.?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  8. cka

cka Guest

Hi, I have just registered, and I cant post. Don't know why, went through the new member process and clicked and activated, but It wont let me post? Any thoughts?
    Thanks

9. SparkRite

SparkRite Frequent Poster

Not being smart, but how did you manage to post the above if you say you can't post?

10. shabir11

shabir11 Guest

Can I start a post or a forum

I am trying to see if it is possible to start a new post or a forum but I cannot find a way to do so as there is no relevant forum to discuss what I wish to discuss.

11. ajapale

ajapale Moderator

What aspect of Irish Consumer Finance do you wish to discuss while staying within the AAM posting guidelines?

12. M_Bea

M_Bea Registered User

Hi, my post (a new thread in fact) was deleted.
    Mortgages and buying and selling homes.
    Can anyone please let me know what was wrong with my post and what to modify in order to post this? I would like to get an advice on the subject on this forum. Thank you.

13. Brendan Burgess New

Brendan Burgess New Administrator

REad the Posting Guidelines. Don't put my home on the line by defaming a named person. Ask your question without naming or identifying anyone.

Brendan

14. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

Hello not sure what I did wrong but I started a thread in the inheritance section and received some answers but this morning got a message that it was removed. Cannot see where I went wrong. Any advice please as I am happy to comply with the rules just not sure what I did incorrectly.

15. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Did you read the Posting Guidelines?

Read them again and then post your question.

Brendan

16. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Don't ever go for a schoolteacher Brendan :)

Annie51 likes this.
  17. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

I just don't like spoon feeding people.

18. john luc

john luc Frequent Poster

I clicked on the home page and then clicked posting rules for ask about money and all it said was I have insufficient privileges to post here.

19. elcato

elcato Moderator

I suspect you need to read guideline number 3.

20. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

john luc likes this.