Why are suppliers allowed organise a protest outside Lidl?

Hi Tommy

I think that they were organised by the IFA? The IFA reps were certainly interviewed on the TV bulletin that I watched.

Brendan

Hi Tommy

I think that they were organised by the IFA? The IFA reps were certainly interviewed on the TV bulletin that I watched.

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

That's my understanding too, but there would be still only a handful of farmers picketing. Poultry farmers are a tiny subset of the farming population, and a number of them would have little or no time for the IFA. I assume the protest is being held in Cavan and Monaghan as these are the counties with most poultry farmers.

Various vegan societies want us to refuse to buy chicken altogether and to divert our food expenditure to vegetable producers. They have taken out ads on national media and they seem to be far better resourced than this handful of disgruntled farmers. Competition policy is ill equipped to police the competition for hearts and minds, notwithstanding that this too has real effects on prices and on consumer and producer behaviours. Nothing is simple anymore.

I was wondering who funded those high profile "go vegan" ads on billboards and buses etc. Must cost a few bob.

Back