Why are some women rude?

homeowner

I find that men are so much more polite than women when it comes to everyday matters.

I was walking out of the bank on merrion row today and had pushed the door open, a woman in her late 30s was coming in, i stepped back holding the door open and she walked past without even looking at me. It was like i didnt exist, some invisible person opened the door for her. A man followed her in and nodded thanks to me. Then just as I was about to walk out, another woman inside the bank walked out past me while I am still holding the door open. She didnt acknowledge me either. I have never been in a situation going through a door where a man hasnt stood back for me and I always say thank you.

Another incident recently I was on the airport shuttle bus coming from the long term parking. The bus was packed and myself and my other half had a seat near the door and a family got on with loads of bags and 3 small kids. THe father was holding one kid and struggling with the pram, the woman lifted the suitcases on and had the other two kids by the hand. Myself and bf got up and said "Would you like to sit down". The woman, without even looking at us said "Yes I would actually" in a tone that suggested it was her right to have a seat. The husband gave us a sheepish glance but neither of them said thank you. We were really pissed off. I felt like shouting at her "have you no manners!"

I have to say I am constantly amazed at how rude other women are. Is it because I am a woman? Are women in general rude to men?

this is going to be an interesting topic....:D

yes, can happen that the ladies are a bit grumpy at times, the old pmt, hormones etc.....i would always hold the door open, and if someone did not say thanks or give a nod, i would say YOUR WELCOME out loud and embarass them

Scuby, I did exactly that in New York some years ago and the guy looked astonished but did say "thank you" when it trickled through to him how rude he had been.

We can only hope that it is remembered the next time someone ho;fds a door open!

I don't think it's specifically women, I think it's just that in every area of society there are rude people.

Whilst leaving a restaurant a few wks ago a very similar thing happened to me- I was the invisible person holding the door. Well, I rather loudly said 'I can't believe how rude that person was' :mad: and they turned around and sheepishly said thanks.

I think manners are a disappearing beauty..

As someone who has dealt with customers for a number of years I have found there are an equal number of rude males and females.

I have also had the pleasure of meeting some absolutley fantastic customers as well.

What the rude people don't realise is that people are willing to go to that extra effort for you if you are nice and polite :)

I hear alot of people saying chivalry is gone. I would think that when i hold the door for someone or do something that requires a bit of manners or courtesy that they would at least say thank you or smile or both. I find however the same problem as the original poster and think that i know the source of the problem. ( possbily face criticism though!!) I think that women think we are treating them as an inferior person / weaker person when we do something like this or worse still hitting on them (always the ugly ones 4 sum reason !!:D ) They want to be treated as equal and as this seperates them from men/the other person (or makes them feel different) .Everything is so complicated now. This may really piss people off but here gos....i think that it may be a sort of identity crisis or an insecurity about their role in society...............:eek: brace myself!!!!

I have to say I am constantly amazed at how rude other women are. Is it because I am a woman? Are women in general rude to men?

Not sure if it's because you're a woman per se but i've definately found the more attractive the woman the less courteous (more bitchy?) other women are in any given situation.

There's a distinct downtrend in manners generally though. I personally suspect it's part and parcel of the Celtic Tiger and our new found 'wealth', i.e. the more successful people feel they have become (materially at least) the less important notions such as courtesy, basic manners etc.. become, never mind chivalry.

I'd like to add my tuppence to this.

At my local bank I always have had a better experince with men (dont take that literally....).

I had to complain a woman teller once. Handed her a bunch of cheques and lodgement book, not added up, she quipped loudly 'Why arent these added up....I'm not your accountant?'

Caught me by surprise, but when I asked her to write the name of her manager on the back of the receipt she went a bit pale. 10 mins later I was onto the little muppet's manager.

Now, if the cheques should have been added up fair enough. I would do it, most of the time...

Anyway, she made two very lame sigh-filled attempts at aplogies on my voicemail. So lame I didnt even acknowledge them - fight rude with rude I say.

I think men are more chilled, full stop.

Rock on the thread!!

BM

I think men are more chilled, full stop.

Mrs Daltonr won't like me saying this (she reads occasionally), but if our household is anything to go by, yes men are more relaxed. Very small things seems to annoy the hell out of women, whereas a man will let it go, in the broader scheme of things it's not worth being in a bad mood because a motorist cuts you off, or someone doesn't hold the door for you, or whatever.

I will shrug such things off, I rarely even blow the horn of the car. Mrs daltonr on the other hand get's very annoyed by such things, and has to be talked down, so to speak.

Interesting that the thread was started by a female, who has obviously noticed when she has been sleighted, and is carrying it around with her.
Not saying that she's wrong to be annoyed by rude people, but I suspect a man would have forgotten it within a few minutes.

Ironically the fact that women get more upset about how others bahave may be the reason they seem to be ruder themselves, it's hard to notice someone holding a door if you're stewing about something else.

I recall Ryan Tubridy telling a story about some Merc driving guy at a petrol station who was being rude, and Tubridy (apparently) walked up to him and said "you sir are rude" then walked away.

Anyway, manners is manners and some have them, and some don't. I blame the parents. I don't know if one gender is worse than they other and if so why, but I'll start a little tally of people who are rude and see how it breaks down. I'll have to wait to get home to Ireland of course (or visit Miami).

-Rd

i support the fight rude-with-rude campaign. a bolshie friend of mine is in the habit of shouting 'fat @rse' after people who do not thank him for opening a door; though as a strategy, it is much more effective on women for some reason.

A few weeks ago I was heading to an atm. A woman was also making her way towards it and while I was slightly ahead, I let her go as she seemed in a bit of a rush. I couldn't believe it when she completely blanked me and didn't even have the manners to acknowledge me let alone thank me! What I didn't almost call her.... Had to go to my car to calm down!

Interesting that the thread was started by a female, who has obviously noticed when she has been sleighted, and is carrying it around with her.
Not saying that she's wrong to be annoyed by rude people, but I suspect a man would have forgotten it within a few minutes.

I think it is more that the two incidences happened within about 1 week of each other so I was reminded of the first incident when the second one happened. It does happen alot to me and it is usually from women of about 35 and upwards. Men sometimes are rude to me but not in general.

I got to thinking about why it happens and all i could come up with is that maybe women who are mothers are used to being in charge at home and used to having their husband and other males in their circle opening doors etc... and they just expect that behaviour and dont see it as manners at all but as a given that a door is going to open in front of them or that someone will get up to let them sit down? Thats all I could come up with.

But you are right, I think men are much calmer about these things.

I will shrug such things off, I rarely even blow the horn of the car. Mrs daltonr on the other hand get's very annoyed by such things, and has to be talked down, so to speak.

That's funny, I find exactly the opposite with Mr.V and myself. I have banned him from blowing the horn when I am in the car- he is much more quick to do so. I rarely, if ever, do so.

I have found more frequently when I let people out into lanes or out of sideroads in the car that they don't say thank you ( by saluting or whatever), but I couldnt say there were more women than men. I do think its rude not to acknowledge if someone holds the door for you or lets you out in traffic. I would always hold the door for women with children, or pregnant women or elderly people. Rarely do they not say thank you. Although recently I was holding the door in Heatons in Tralee for an elderly woman and after her three or four people just barged through, it didnt bother me until a young man barged in which I DID take exception to and I called after him ' sure you're welcome, any time'. At least he had the grace to blush and say sorry.

My reaction depends partly on my mood. Sometimes, I'll just use the "You're welcome" option. At other times, I find letting go the door when they're half way through can be effective. There's nothing like getting a face full of door for a wake up call.

My reaction depends partly on my mood. Sometimes, I'll just use the "You're welcome" option. At other times, I find letting go the door when they're half way through can be effective. There's nothing like getting a face full of door for a wake up call.
So, the only reason you hold the door open is to hear that little phrase "thank you"?? Why do you care if the recipient of your act of kindness appreciates it or not?

Back