Why are landlords rushing for the exits while rents are so high?

Some of the bedsits in D6 were pretty grotty but they suited the tenants' needs in many way.

Even if you weren't banning them, it was a mistake to make it illegal to build new small, one-person dwellings.

I think part of the motivation was to stop six people living in 25 sqm and the associated headlines.

I've the option to be a (small time) landlord, currently have a friend staying free for a few months in my house, free oil and esb so far, followed by a very reduced rent - that is still awaited! The deal was keep the house clean, so far I've had to have the brand new oven professionally cleaned, my regular cleaner comes in weekly and still the house is grubby!! For the sake of circa 8K after tax I could not be bothered with the waste of time and effort, and then especially with the difficulty getting a house back with official tenants.

I think part of the motivation was to stop six people living in 25 sqm and the associated headlines.

Exactly, and that's a significant factor in the problems we now have, policy made in response to sensationalist headlines in a media competing for clicks at the expense of proper journalism. I can only imagine that the policy makers know these policies at best won't work, but their focus is short term and they need to be seen doing something.

I've the option to be a (small time) landlord, currently have a friend staying free for a few months in my house, free oil and esb so far, followed by a very reduced rent - that is still awaited! The deal was keep the house clean, so far I've had to have the brand new oven professionally cleaned, my regular cleaner comes in weekly and still the house is grubby!! For the sake of circa 8K after tax I could not be bothered with the waste of time and effort, and then especially with the difficulty getting a house back with official tenants.
You will not be alone in thinking like that in years ahead I believe. A lot of people who don't want to sell property, will use it sparingly themselves or leave it idle before letting it out full-time. The risk will simply not be worth it.

You will not be alone in thinking like that in years ahead I believe. A lot of people who don't want to sell property, will use it sparingly themselves or leave it idle before letting it out full-time. The risk will simply not be worth it.
Absolutely! We actually like staying there from time to time, handy for storage and in a way a relationship breather as it gives a bit of space when needed.

Back