Why are Audi advertising a sports car in a deep recession?

Some stats on "Premium" car sales so far this year

Audi
A5 - 246
A6 - 367
A8 - 14
Q5 - 54
Q7 - 8

BMW
5 Series - 607
7 Series - 32
X5 - 35
X6 - 5

Jaguar
X Type - 81
XF - 67

Landrover
RangeRover Sport - 51

Mercedes
E Class - 1099
S Class - 47
CLS - 15
GL - 10

Porsche
Cayenne - 1
Boxster - 1
Panamera - 1

Wow that's a lot of new and expensive cars for a small country like ours thats supposed to have a population who are watching every cent they spend!

Wow that's a lot of new and expensive cars for a small country like ours thats supposed to have a population who are watching every cent they spend!
It's great to see that some people are still doing well.

Cheaper VRT for both under the new system.
Mercs are just too unreliable; the rich man's Fiat.

I don't have the link but remember reading about the testing that MB conducted in advance of the new C class. It was the most testing MB in history and MB are commited to making reliable cars again. They should too as I think the cars are great but reliability and the cost of servicing / parts are what puts me off. The SL is a real stunner, but I'd need an Esso lorry behind me!

Anybody esle think that the Passat CC is nicer looking than the A5 (4 door). If the CC had an Audi badge on it it would sell a lot more IMO

As long as we (taxpayer) are not the ones paying for it.

Eh?? :confused:

Why do you think that we would we be paying for it?
Cars are one of the most heavily taxed things you can buy. People who purchase expensive ones are doing a national service.

Eh?? :confused:

Why do you think that we would we be paying for it?
Cars are one of the most heavily taxed things you can buy. People who purchase expensive ones are doing a national service.

Government ministers, HSE executives etc

As long as theypay for it with after tax income then off they go.
Would you mind TDs using our unvouched 'expenses' money to buy cars?

Would you mind TDs using our unvouched 'expenses' money to buy cars?

I don't think they should get unvouched expenses but as they do then spending them on something that is nearly 50% tax is a good thing.

Would you rather they spend it on Tayto?

Would you rather they spend it on Tayto?
I'd rather TDs didn't get unvouched 'expenses' because they can't be trusted.
Given the choice between cars and Taytos, I'd go for Taytos, if they're made in Ireland. At least the money stays in the country.

Thanks for the reminder. I just went in and configured and ordered mine. There is a substantial waiting list. :confused:

mathepac's Audi R8 Spyder quattro - Total Ex works price :- 239,038 EUR

Engine : 5.2 FSI quattro 525 BHP R tronic

Delighted to hear you ordered one . I was wondering would any dealer do a scrappage deal ?

The guy I spoke to wasn't interested due to the waiting list :) He might be in a more generous frame of mind after the Le Mans results at the week-end. ;)

The guy I spoke to wasn't interested due to the waiting list :)
When I told the OH she burst into tears and gave me a choice. Either I buy her a top of the range merc.as compensation for her distressed state or I find another blanket to keep me warm when Winter comes.

Know someone with an 09 going cheap if anyones interested?;)

My OH does not want a second hand one:rolleyes: .

When I told the OH she burst into tears and gave me a choice. Either I buy her a top of the range merc.as compensation for her distressed state or I find another blanket to keep me warm when Winter comes.

Know someone with an 09 going cheap if anyones interested?;)
My OH does not want a second hand one:rolleyes:

You can only buy cars that fit through a tunnel in Gaza. In Paris you can't drive an SUV. In Switzerland the cars have their soul ripped out before you get them so that they emit butterflies and flowers instead of CO2.

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

Anybody esle think that the Passat CC is nicer looking than the A5 (4 door). If the CC had an Audi badge on it it would sell a lot more IMO

Nope, the A5 4-door (or "Sportback" as Audi want you to call it) is a much better looking car. I think all the new Audi models that have come out in the past couple of years are great looking cars, except the Q7, but then I think all these bloated SUV-type cars are dreadful bloated behemoths.

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?
No, I'm his script writer.

Nope, the A5 4-door (or "Sportback" as Audi want you to call it) is a much better looking car. I think all the new Audi models that have come out in the past couple of years are great looking cars, except the Q7, but then I think all these bloated SUV-type cars are dreadful bloated behemoths.
Agreed

Back