why all my Credit card applications have been all refused?

K

KIS

Hi there,
Last year I applied (4 times) for a (basic) credit card and all my requests were declined. They didn't want to give me any reasons.
Note that I earn 34k a year; i m single; i have no debts (not even a mortgage); never overdraft (on the contrary) and have some savings... I thought i was an 'ideal' customer...
i m not irish though :) (do you think being irish can ne a 'hidden' condition to get one? :) )
more seriously i really wonder what i should do to finally get a credit card...
cheers

i dont :)
but i do need one for particular expenses such as flight tickets or college fees...

I had the exact same problem (i'm irish) :)

The only reason i could come up with was having no credit history as i never took out loans - being sensible went against me..

My mother added me to her card, a year later i got one no problem as i had built up a credit rating.

how can i get a credit history with no CC?:p
unfortunately i ve no family in here :(

I'm not Irish and wasn't able to get a Credit Card but was able to get a mortgage!

I did eventually - after being here over a year - get a credit card with, I think a limit so low I couldn't do much with and then after 6 months they doubled it to something I could use (for tickets home)

I had the best success with the bank that I also had my current and monthly deposit accounts with.

You could take out a low personal loan - put the money aside and pay it back to start building a credit rating perhaps?

well i asked for a loan as well (before i applied for a CC) and was refused.only needed a few K to buy a second hand car 4 work.so i borrowed from a relativf.

Have you got a laser card? Perhaps move to Ulster Bank and see if as part of joining they'll give you a visa debit card and this might help with the purchases you need to make as well as giving you a 'record' of using visa.

i did that too:was at BOI but change to ptsb(after 3 refusals).the girt at ptsb said i'd get a cc without any pb but said after 2 weeks 'sorry not possible.head office said no

a prepaid visa card?i dont know actually... I ll see if its possible with ptsb.thanks for the advice :)

The banks will flatly refuse to provide reasons for their refusal to provide you with a credit card. However, you have a right to get a copy of your personal information, which will include the reasons for your refusal. You can make a request under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts 1988-2003, the maximum cost is €6.35.

See for more details: [broken link removed]

You can also get a copy of your credit report from the Irish Credit bureau, it'll cost you €5.
It's what the banks know about you as a customer.

From what you've said, it would appear to have no history and so the banks don't know what you're like.

Back