Other Whose insurance for storm damage to my car

mandelbrot

OK so I left my car out to my mechanic to be serviced during the week, and left it parked on his premises.

There is a house next door to his premises, and within an hour a large tree in the garden of that house blew down in the stormy weather, and its roots caused the party wall to come down, and my car got a clatter from part of the falling wall. Damage to the driver's door and the front wing.

So, the householder has insurance, and my mechanic has insurance, and I have insurance... but whose insurance policy do I need to claim against??

I''m inclined to think it should be the mechanic, as I had left the car in his care on his premises when the damage happened, and let him claim onwards against his neighbour's??

If you left it in his care it should be the mecanic otherwise its your own as unless the neighbour has being neglegent they will not be liable for third party damage which is generally the case in storm

You should claim under your own policy first and then let your insurers sort out liability. To recover against either mechanic or householder, you will have to prove that they have a liability.

In theory, if the tree was sound pre storm and it was storm that felled it, the tree owner is NOT liable.

I really can't see how mechanic could be liable.

Surely the policy is a LIABILITY policy and that being the case, negligence needs to be proven.

Depending on the wording, but generally in garage policies harage is liable for damage when under their control as as neighbour is prob not neglegent in a tree falling garage would be liable. This all assumes the car was under their care

Back