Whose bigger? AIB or BOI

car

Discussion over lunch, I always thought AIB were bigger (define?) than BOI but over lunch a colleague thought BOI had now outstripped them for no other reason then he said AIB had to get recent digouts and sell some assets.

How can one tell which is the bigger bank other then looking at share price which I take to not mean too much these days other then a big stock broker had a nice breakfast.

Is there recent balance sheets one can look up to say AIB & BOI are worth X billion (do they even know themselves where this is?)

ps: Stuck the query in Investments as theres may be mention of share price as an indicator.

I think one way of measure is total capitalisation..i.e. total market value of shares which is very up and down at the moment.

I don't think you can really say Bank of Ireland is bigger than AIB.

You have to say something along the lines of

"the stockmarket thinks Bank of Ireland is more valuable than AIB today"

"AIB has more employees than Bank of Ireland"

You can find the market capitalization of and on the Irish Stock Exchange website.

By this measure, Bank of Ireland has just passed out AIB. Bank of Ireland is worth just over €1b while AIB is worth just under €1b.

Other measures could be:

The size of their loan book - from their accounts
The number of employees - allows for inclusion of non banking subsidiaries
Shareholders' Funds - from the accounts
Market share in Ireland - I think AIB is larger, but I am not sure
Amount invested by the taxpayer - AIB is larger
Amount guaranteed by the taxpayer -

Market Capitalization often throws up odd results.

If AIB sold off some subsidiaries, most people would consider it to have become smaller. However, if they get a good price for the sale, the share price and market capitalization might rise.

Back