Whos best for broadband

tiger said:
I've been with Smart for a couple of months now, happy with the service, great value for money (I was paying line rental plus E40 to esat BT).

Had to change phone no., eircom are playing silly beggars apparently with phone no. mobility.

How come you don't have to change phone numbers changing from Eircom to UTV or Eircom to BT Ireland but you do changing from Eircom to Smart?

demoivre said:
How come you don't have to change phone numbers changing from Eircom to UTV or Eircom to BT Ireland but you do changing from Eircom to Smart?

With UTV, Eircom or ESAT broadband, you're still using the eircom line and paying them line rental.

With smart there is a new phone line (or at least new equipment at the phone exchange), but because local loop unbundling, LLU, is not fully implemented, eircom won't move the phone no. over so smart have to give you a new one.

Nobody seems to have anything good to say about Imagine over on boards. Apparently it is run/promoted by a guy who took another company under a few years ago. The Ts and Cs seem to have changed during the day as well:eek:

Granted they haven't even started operating yet.

I looked at the FAQs, they do not explain clearly that to get the cheap BB you must move line rental and calls over to imagine. The package looks like cheap shot shystering to me . I would avoid them until their FAQ and T&Cs have been brought up to standard. Incidentally they have also been thrown off boards for trying to plug their package for free ...Boards is very efficient at spotting employees plugging their employers wares....

In the meantime it still looks like BT is the one to beat ...and that nobody comes close .

In the meantime it still looks like BT is the one to beat ...and that nobody comes close .

... I thought that Smaart are the ones to beat....

€35/mth which included line rental (once they expand their coverage) v's ESAT €40/mth incl line rental but which also has a €50 connection fee...

ninsaga

smart are not widely available yet, 10 exchanges or so is all.

If you live in parts of central dublin then smart are the ones to beat ...yes .

Has anybody any knowledge on Ice communications for wireless broadband?

I am with UTV and when I tried to change to Clicksilver it was discovered that our phone line was a "party line" so we could not go broadband.
A neighbour of mine had one wireless company out to test if she could receive it but they could not get a signal, Ice are now covering my area and just wondered if anyone knows anything about them.

I am off on me holliers tomorrow so if it appears like I am not answering any questions that's the reason.

ninsaga said:
yep I agree ...now if only ESAT would scrap that €50 connection fee.....

Yep that is a bummer alright - you are getting a €15 per month discount for the first 4 months though for the line rental and bb package.

ninsaga said:
yep I agree ...now if only ESAT would scrap that €50 connection fee.....
If they did that and offered a wireless router option that would do it for me - and if their marketing people were smart then that's what the would do . . or maybe waive the €50 for anyone willing to sign up for 12 months rather than 6.

going to say a sad farewell to piggy one of these days as hes not interested in bb.
after checking out the irishbroadband.ie site mentioned earlier I cannot find utv on it for my area but the bt package appears attractive enough. I currently have eircom talktime 2 for €31.99 a month + €9.99 for piggy, and for this I have enough phone time (off peak) and usually clock up and extra €5 a month extra on average for the isp. however there is also day times calls to consider and mobile calls. all in all about €60 per month. I rang bt to enquire about their bt talk package and its €14.82 per month for unlimited daytime/evening national calls. (assume norn iron is included). with bt the total cost per month will be €54.82 for bb, line rental, unlimited national calls and just the mobile calls to pay. everything equal it should work out not to much more expensive than at present and could even be around the same (if the terrible two would use their own mobiles to make mobile to mobile calls) and I would have bb and not dial up. the download is 1mb and the ratio 1:48 according to their salesperson that should be more than adaquate for someone who is used to dial up. I almost always found piggy fairly ok for most things but some site were slow ie strawberrynet.com
I am a bit unsavvy on this part though, will I have to change my email address from [email protected] or can I continue to use it? I havn't committed yet but probably will.

Back