Whos best for broadband

Smart have dropped a leaflet in our door recently

€35 per month, free line rental for life for the first 100,000 customers

Smart have been advertising this for quite a while now (the exchange in my area is not ready for Smart yet)..... yet I don't know oif Smart have actually switched on BB for anyone as yet...and as I understand have not outlined when they plan to do it either ...

ninsaga

They have switched on some exchanges in Dublin . A mate has it near rathmines and sez its mighty. none outside Dublin yet.

I have eircom BB and have never had any problems with it at all, the phone that was in the hose was maybe 40 years old and was hard wired into an ancient wall socket. One call to them and an engineer was out the next to to replace the socket for a modern one..... On costs it doens't bother as my employer pays for it :D

ninsaga said:

ESAT BB & Line rental for €40/mth (€50 connection fee. bummer!)
Smart BB & Line rental for €35/mth (not in my area though damn it!)
Eircom....'nuff said
NTL.....don't know & couldn't care aas I live outside the pale

ninsaga

ninsaga,

eircom broadband is now €19.99 p/m. What exactly do you mean by 'nuff said? I recently ordered the package - Is there something I should be aware of?

Zapa.

Zapatista said:
ninsaga,

eircom broadband is now €19.99 p/m. What exactly do you mean by 'nuff said? I recently ordered the package - Is there something I should be aware of?

Zapa.

Eircom is only €19.99 per month for their hybrid broadband/dial-up package. You get a certain amount of time online each month. Anything over this and they charge you on a per minute business. There is another thread on this product somehwere. Ordinary always on broadband with Eircom is still €40 pm (I think!).

Personally I wouldn't touch that dial-up broadband in a fit...

'nuff said because I believe that is is not a good deal ie 20 hrs for €19.99 & if you go over the 20hrs then it costs you €2.40 per hour extra!!!

All this plus your line rental & other call charges.

Smart are able to offer €35 per month for BB all the time which includes line rental.

..not a great deal from Eircom in my view.

ninsaga

Apologies,

I didn't order the 20hrs for €19.99 product. I ordered the always on package for €29.99. I haven't used it yet but I don't see how it could be so much worse than any other package available.

Again if I'm wrong please point out why because I might have to reconsider my choice.

Zapa.

Zapatista said:
Apologies,

I didn't order the 20hrs for €19.99 product. I ordered the always on package for €29.99. I haven't used it yet but I don't see how it could be so much worse than any other package available.

Again if I'm wrong please point out why because I might have to reconsider my choice.

Zapa.

Eircom €29.99 a month AND €24.19 LINE RENTAL ON TOP = €54.18 a Month

Smart charge €35 a month for all that

BT( ESAT ) charge about €25 for all that for the first 4 months

As Eircom Line Rental in Ireland is the most expensive in all of the whole wide world you should always look for bundles that minimise the impact of that cost.

tonka said:
Eircom €29.99 a month AND €24.19 LINE RENTAL ON TOP = €54.18 a Month

Smart charge €35 a month for all that

BT( ESAT ) charge about €25 for all that for the first 4 months

As Eircom Line Rental in Ireland is the most expensive in all of the whole wide world you should always look for bundles that minimise the impact of that cost.

Im not sure that final statement is entirely accurate but I get your point.

Zapatista said:
Im not sure that final statement is entirely accurate but I get your point.

Can you show me any country with line rental like ours €24.18 a month, The EU average was €14 before the 10 new members joined.

Nor does eircom have any discount bundles where taking BB and Line rental will get you a few shekels off.

BT Ireland will charge you €40 a month for DSL and for Line Rental after the first 4 months thats still €14 less than Eircom would .

There's a new telecommuications company operating in Ireland claiming to offer the cheapest Broadband in Europe at 10 yoyo's a month; 10 e cheaper than the next cheapest Irish network offering. Probably prohibitive t & c's.

They were giving out free tenners today in Dublin.

It should be in this afternoons paper!

I've been with Smart for a couple of months now, happy with the service, great value for money (I was paying line rental plus E40 to esat BT).

Had to change phone no., eircom are playing silly beggars apparently with phone no. mobility.

Re. imagine.ie, one or two things that appear strange/different:

• Router rental is €2.99 per month, or €44.99 to buy outright
  • Family protection is €2.99 per month (and small print says family protection comes as standard-does this mean you have to take it?)
  • Connection fee (always on) is €44.99 or €99.99 if you are migrating from another provider (not much of an incentive to switch?)
  • Calls to tech support are 33c per minute (but e-mail support is 'free')
  • Speeds are 'distance depandent and cannot therefore be guaranteed' (is this usual?)

Imagine.ie

Their 2mb broadband is € 44.99 pm excluding router charge. BT ireland are charging €50 pm for 2mb bb including line rental ( excluding intr. offer for first 4 months.) BT way cheaper !

Dont like the look of imagine at all.

Its a sneaky site that does not disclose itself fully in the T and C s

I would avoid like the plague until there is some feedback on the service and stuff.

For example it says that the contract is not 12 months and that 30 days notice is all that is required but further in you are locked into the contratc for 6 months and the 30 days notice is effective THEREAFTER ...meaning the minimum contract is 7 months.

Stay away pending lots of clarification :(

From the ts and cs

Is it a fixed IP?
No, the product is set up with dynamic IP Addressing. This means that every time you open your browser you will be allocated a different IP address for the duration of that session. When the session ends the IP Address is removed.

What is the benefit/disadvantage of this?

Back